DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to get a error code that said cylinder 3 misfire. I no longer get that code, but I still feel my engine rumbling a lot and sometimes I can kind of hear a misfire. How do I check these?

2000 Chevy s10 4 cylinder.

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
I lean toward trying to identify a particular problem before throwing parts at it, but, in this case, for the cost of set of a plugs and the fact that you would be taking the old ones out anyway, I would just go ahead and replace them and see where that takes you. And knowing that there is possibly a problem, I would probably do a compression check while I had them out just to have that part of the diagnosis done.

·
DIY Veteran
666 Posts
I forgot to add since your vehicle is 20 years old the plug wires probably need replacing too since you have to pull them to check the plugs.
Start the engine at night when it's dark completely dark not under the street light or garage light ect. and pop the hood and look for small sparks/shorts along the plug wires.

Let us know how things work out. :wink2:

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I forgot to add since your vehicle is 20 years old the plug wires probably need replacing too since you have to pull them to check the plugs.
Start the engine at night when it's dark completely dark not under the street light or garage light ect. and pop the hood and look for small sparks/shorts along the plug wires.

Let us know how things work out.
My headlights turn on automatically in the dark, so I don't think I can do that.

·
Registered
13,924 Posts
And there's always unplugging the bulb connectors. :vs_laugh:

But seriously, if you can't figure out how to turn them off, you can always just hang a blanket over the front of the hood to get yourself enough darkness in the engine bay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I drive a 1995 chevy s10. I turn off the headlights for times like this by pressing the parking brake slightly a short distance. This shuts off the headlights. Pulling the release turns them back on.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.