DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a metal (clad?) door with a nine-light window in it. My wife is wanting me to position brackets on it to support curtains. What is the best way for doing this?

This is a home center special, so I don't believe it to have a solid wood core.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
A drill and sheet metal screws. Just make sure you have the right size bit for the job and drill the holes in the right place, cuz them holes in metal doors don't heal up.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the metal thick enough to hold the screws? Aren't these clad doors essientially hollow-core doors with metal instead of luan?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Use magnets!

We have the same thing -- metal door, bought at a home center, nine-light window -- and my wife found magnetic brackets for horizontal blinds. They work great! Very strong, and no drilling necessary. Someone probably makes magnetic curtain brackets, too.

Now as to *where* she found them, I couldn't say, but you might just try googling 'magnetic curtain rod brackets' or some such.

·
BUILDER / REMODELING CONT
1,543 Posts
What I have done in the past is drilled small holes where the brackets are going to be placed and caulked the backs of the brackets , installed sheet metal screws and snugged them up , not to tight so they striped out cleaned off the excess caulking and hung the curtain. once the caulk has cured it acts as a secondary hold. Use a rubber based caulk not silicone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts