DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aircon has a musty/feet smell. I haven't used it for a few months. I think I need to clean the indoor coil (i haven't clean it ever). But looking at my unit, i don't know how I can do it. It looks sealed. I also have outside coil but i'm guessing it's a different coil.

Sorry the pics are upside down.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
That's a cased coil, should be able to take the cover off.
The cover will come off. But the mastic needs to be sliced/edged and the tape slit to get the cover off. Then the top side will be exposed. And can be sprayed with a chemical cleaner. That may or may not get to the under side of the coil. Depending how dirty it is.

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So no chance this can be fixed by just running the air con. I was hoping the problem is because I haven't used it for a few months and the smell would just go away in a day or 2 of running the air con.

·
Registered
15,540 Posts
Attic systems by their very nature lend themselves to bad installs.

Attic is a very crappy and dangerous place to work, they want to get in and out as quick as possible.

The furnace is 80% efficient, after duct losses could be 70%.

·
Administrator
42,390 Posts
The furnace would still be 80% efficient. The system could drop to 70%. But the furnace would still be 80%.

·
Registered
13,976 Posts
It's a gas furnace, so during heating, it will warm the coil enough to kill most if not all microbes that cause VOCs. If this is the problem, the smell will go away.

Run the furnace in heat for a while. At least an half an hour, if you can stand it for more, then that would be better. (up to an hour or more) You can open windows to help keep it a bit cooler.

If the smell persists, then it's not DSS.

PS. I actually didn't think that install was so terrible. Could it be better? Definitely. But the ductwork is sealed, things more or less supported, with almost enough room to work on the front. (at least the flex gas connector doesn't penetrate the case) I would definitely add more supports though. That coil might be installed opposite to flow though. The arrow points in the wrong direction. Shouldn't effect it too much, and was probably done to allow easy access to the front panel that's removable. (before the mastic and tape)

Cheers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.