DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I don't know where else to post this thread.

So, the seats to the VW beetle I have were stored out of the car for years. Rodents nested in the bottom seat and of course, it got nasty. I've removed the seat cover (upholstery) and cleaned it some with a small upholstery cleaning machine and scrubbed it with a brush and other cleansers, but it's not good enough. It may be too impregnated with the urine smell and not resolvable, but I am open to suggestions. I can soak the whole thing in something if anyone has any suggestions.

(I'm really trying to preserve these original 47 yr old seat because otherwise, it's in very good condition and I don't want to have to replace only the rear seats in this classic car.)

·
Registered
26,727 Posts
Hantavirus is in Texas, now. Rare, but carried in rodent urine. They carry some awful diseases. Look into disinfecting as well as odor removal. Wear a mask & gloves.

Read up on diseases carried in rodent urine.
I had a bashed in trunk on an older car. By the time I got it open, field mice had shredded all the boxes of paper in the trunk.

I actually got flu-like symptoms while cleaning it so I gave up.

·
Registered
14,040 Posts
Some kind of enzymatic cleaner. Check pet stores for products that are used when pets have "accidents" in the house.

Have you checked whether the stench is into the cushion foam too, or just the exterior vinyl?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I've also seen things like Simple Green Outdoor Odor Eliminator. That and some of the others have enzymes or microorganisms that attack and breakdown the urine molecules I guess. I'm just not sure they can penetrate into the vinyl... but the urine did, so we'll see.
I'll just pick something and go for it. I plan on using something I can soak the whole seat cover in, in a large tub.

·
JUSTA MEMBER
19,142 Posts
First test the cleaner on a small inconspicuous spot.

To see if it fades the color, or messes up the vinyl.

To soak, I would just use a solution of TIDE, laundry soap, mixed a little stronger than the usual cup per washer full of water.

ED

·
Registered
740 Posts
I had a rodent die in my truck and what finally took care of 100% of the odor was spraying the interior (including the carpet and sides and seat covers) with Febreze. After spraying I had the smell of the Febreze for about 10 days and then that was gone as well.

Even after having the truck sit for weeks with a car cover on it the smell is still completely gone. Cost me $5 for the spray bottle of Febreze and 10 minutes of my time. Saved me a great deal of money in not having to remove the dash.

·
leojonson
1 Posts
I had a rat kick the bucket in my truck and what at long last dealt with 100% of the smell was splashing the inside (counting the rug and sides and seat covers) with Febreze. In the wake of showering I had the smell of the Febreze for around 10 days and afterward, that was gone also.

Considerably in the wake of having the truck sit for quite a long time with a vehicle spread on it the smell is still totally gone. Cost me $5 for the splash container of Febreze and 10 minutes of my time. Spared me a lot of cash in not evacuating the scramble.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Sorry, I don't know where else to post this thread.

So, the seats to the VW beetle I have were stored out of the car for years. Rodents nested in the bottom seat and of course, it got nasty. I've removed the seat cover (upholstery) and cleaned it some with a small upholstery cleaning machine and scrubbed it with a brush and other cleansers, but it's not good enough. It may be too impregnated with the urine smell and not resolvable, but I am open to suggestions. I can soak the whole thing in something if anyone has any suggestions.

(I'm really trying to preserve these original 47 yr old seat because otherwise, it's in very good condition and I don't want to have to replace only the rear seats in this classic car.)

I bought some of this Gear Aid Odor Eliminator to treat a tent I bought some years ago that recently started smelling awful. I haven't used it yet as I'm waiting for warmer weather so I can air dry it. This product comes in different quantity sizes and has good reviews (one even reported it removed odor on a vinyl tent), so you may want to consider using it to soak your car's upholstery. The only other thing that might work is an ionizer which car dealers use to clear out cigarette "smoky" cars. Good luck. https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-Rev...id=1573745323&sprefix=gear+aid,aps,194&sr=8-4

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.