DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I had to use my Paint skills to give you the details of my setup (see below). But I'm considering buying a 4x8 CNC plasma table... aside from the electrical considerations, I'm wondering how I would get a 4x8 sheet onto the bed of the CNC. the bed faces a wide alley that leads up to my garage, and if I back my truck up I need to move about 4-5 more feet. Check the pics below and let me know if anyone has any bright ideas.
Font Rectangle Drawing Human leg Line art

Rectangle Font Slope Parallel Gas

I don't think a truck bed crane will clear the garage. maybe some type of winch setup? Let me know any ideas.
J

· Registered
605 Posts
If it’s sheet metal and not heavy plate, how about rollers from a grocery store or beer store? We have a set of rollers at moose camp to unload our stuff and load up our gear and moose into the Otter.

Retired guy from Southern Manitoba, Canada.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments - Let me try to respond to everyone's thoughts:
Jib crane: I can't attach to the welding table as it's on wheels, but can you just drill into the concrete? Will it clear garage door?
Hoists: I read that they can lift up and down, but not pull - which is what I would need I believe. Also, I can't install anything attached to ceiling beams). Let me know if I'm wrong on hoists.

I plan on using up to .5" 4x8' sheets, which are heavy. So the issue is mostly weight. I was planning on using those lifting magnets to secure a grip and then attach to something to get it on the bed.
Anyway, all comments are appreciated.
J

· Registered
480 Posts
1/2-in steel is 10 lb per square foot 320 lb for a sheet. I'd set up a system of boards and if possible rollers and roll it in there. Transitioning a piece of 320 lb stuff from horizontal to vertical and back again is not a good plan. If you're not sure, just go help some guys trying to get countertops up onto a big peninsula or counter. It takes all hands on deck and if it comes down on your foot, you're not going to be working for a while.

· retired framer
70,304 Posts
Thanks for the comments - Let me try to respond to everyone's thoughts:
Jib crane: I can't attach to the welding table as it's on wheels, but can you just drill into the concrete? Will it clear garage door?
Hoists: I read that they can lift up and down, but not pull - which is what I would need I believe. Also, I can't install anything attached to ceiling beams). Let me know if I'm wrong on hoists.

I plan on using up to .5" 4x8' sheets, which are heavy. So the issue is mostly weight. I was planning on using those lifting magnets to secure a grip and then attach to something to get it on the bed.
Anyway, all comments are appreciated.
J
How high is the table compared to the bed of the truck?

· Registered
12,008 Posts
half inch x 4 x 8 will be 650 pounds.
You need to set up an overhead hoist/jib crane.

If you had clearance under your tables/truck and a reasonably flat floor, an engine hoist type might work. This one says 61.75" of reach. But an overhead hoist would be better.
Font Line Parallel Engineering Diagram

· Registered
2,755 Posts
Just keep in mind that with an engine hoist, the base of the hoist will have to fit under whatever you are picking from and placing on.

· Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't know if an engine hoist will work due to the uneven ground right outside of my garage. It won't be able to roll very effectively -
A table hoist sounds like a viable option, as I can reposition the sheet on the table to align for the cnc.. which is great. But what about the force of pulling the sheet from an angle? As I understand hoists should lift up and down only.

See pic - is this what folks are recommending with hoist? If bolted into the concrete and added support, would this safely move 600+ lb material?
White Rectangle Slope Gesture Line

Sorry if I'm not getting folks recommendations, - not much exp with heavier lifting equipment.
Thanks,
J

· retired framer
70,304 Posts
Thanks Steve, but don't have the room for that. I'm in SoCal, so not much for space.
Can you park the truck where you would have it for unloading and take pictures from different angles so we gat the whole picture of what you have and what the problems might be.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts