DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The first time I applied satin paint (SW emerald) to new walls in a home I overworked the paint and was too slow. The end result was satin paint that had many roller marks and uneven finish. I have gone back with better technique and tried covering the marks to some success. However some marks remain. It is mainly areas where the sheen is "dull" that seem to stay.

I'm wondering if I should sand before I coat the walls with issues again. There isn't really imperfections in the way of ridges you can feel. Like I said its more of a sheen issue. Would sanding the entire wall a bit beforehand help my cause or would it create more issues? Any other recommendations on how to cover these areas?

·
2,392 Posts
That's a tough one. Satin is brutal paint to work with on walls, even for pros, especially if you have strong sidelighting. A certain level of glitch is to be expected. Even without "overworking" it, just the time involved in going from the wall to the tray and back it can set up enough to glitch on you, where it "crushes" or mats the sheen. The best advice is to keep the temp cool in the room, thin the paint with a bit or water or extender or both, keep the roller wet, and work your ass off. I rarely work with satin on walls and do everything I can to deter my customers from using it.

·
2,392 Posts
You know BJ, after I posted that I thought about the last couple of times I used a satin wall finish. The one time was an SW satin and I do remember now it not being quite the sheen I expected from a satin, and wasn't as difficult to work as I was expecting. At least when I compare it to what I think was my use of BM Kitchen and Bath for a powder room, why I don't know, and the sheen was higher than I liked. It sometimes all just blurs together. I was cleaning a brush today that I had wrapped in plastic. It was still fresh, a deep burgundy, and for the life of me I can't remember what I painted recently that was that color, a complete blank.

·
paper hanger and painter
8,301 Posts
You know BJ, after I posted that I thought about the last couple of times I used a satin wall finish. The one time was an SW satin and I do remember now it not being quite the sheen I expected from a satin, and wasn't as difficult to work as I was expecting. At least when I compare it to what I think was my use of BM Kitchen and Bath for a powder room, why I don't know, and the sheen was higher than I liked. It sometimes all just blurs together. I was cleaning a brush today that I had wrapped in plastic. It was still fresh, a deep burgundy, and for the life of me I can't remember what I painted recently that was that color, a complete blank.[/QUOTE]

oh, ooh:eek: :whistling2: :laughing:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts