DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking out a range hood to install a microwave/vent combo. When I went to the panel, I found that none of the switches cut the power. I even cut the 220s to see if it was jumped from one of those. No luck :huh:
Any Ideas????

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't found one but there must be right? Wouldn't it have to come off the main box? There is a closet light next to it that won't cut off either. (obviously from the same source)

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
How are you determining that the power to the range hood isn't shutting off?

Try shutting off the MAIN breaker.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
You may have a double-fed circuit here.

When you shut off the individual breakers, leave them off as you flip the next one. Sooner or later, one will shut off the power to the hood. MARK that breaker, and leave it off.

Next, restore power one at a time with the other breakers until it comes back on. MARK that breaker, too.

The easy solution is remove the wire from one of those 2 breakers and cap it off with a wire-nut.

The better solution would be to find the mid-point of the circuit, and separate it there, making 2 different circuits with their own individual breakers.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a light on the hood that makes it easy tell it's still getting power :thumbsup: I have noticed large junctions or bundles of wires in the crawl space. Is a place where you would expect this problem to originate? I still haven't checked the main switch as we are in a remote area and the likelihood of power coming from elsewhere is extremely slim. Your suggestion seems the most probable cause unless it's possible to get power from a panel without a breaker. That was pretty much my original question. The double feed theory will be my next try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts