DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a regular hot water tank. I had the thermocouple and burner assembly cleaned. I notice that the pilot light stays lit as it should after the correct temp is achieved, but in the middle of the burner where the gas comes out there seems to be a little flame that stays lit as well. Is this correct? Thanks anyone.

·
Registered
9,753 Posts
Can you extinguish the pilot light without directing a blast of air from your mouth into the heater which might extinguish the other flame in the middle without proving anything?

For example can you reach in with a thin strip of metal and cover the nozzle that feeds gas to the pilot light,

Then if the other flame goes out of its own accord you know that it is being fed by the pilot mechanism and I do not think it is anything to worry about.

One purpose of the pilot light at the thermocouple is to keep the thermocouple hot which in turn keeps the trickle of gas going to the pilot light. A second pilot light in the middle of the burner cascading from the first pilot light may be what actually starts the burner.

On the other hand, the other flame could be from gas seeping past the main valve which would be considered a malfunction. If it gets bigger as the months go by, that could be a sign that the gas valve and control is deteriorating.

·
Licensed Master Plumber
476 Posts
The pilot line is totally separate from the main gas burner line. The fire should go completely out at the main burner in the off cycle. If it's still burning, the gas valve is not only bad but dangerous as well. Shut the gas valve off now and call the gas company.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
NHmaster

I blew out the pilot light but the smaller flame stayed on in the middle of the burner. Shouldn't the thermocouple have shut off the main burner which should have closed the burner off?

·
Administrator
42,282 Posts
Yes it should have gone out. Shouldn't have been there in the first place.
Your control is bad, and needs replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts