DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as of a couple of days ago, this issue started happening- all of a sudden. Basically I have hot water for about 3 min then it goes lukewarm and starts smelling like an earthy smell. A bit of googling showed that the earthy smell might be from organic material decaying or something- but the regular cold water doesn't smell. And the smell only happens when the hot water turns cold. Also, is there a way to tell if the problem is that I need to replace a heating element or if the issue is with the dip tube?

·
Registered
37,477 Posts
Electric heater?
How old is it?
Ever drained any water out of the bottom of it like your suppose to at least once a year to get rid of the sediment?
Own a volt ohm meter and know how to use one?
Taken the cover off that covers the elements to see if the thermostat needs to be reset?
http://www.water-heater-repair-guide.com/waterheaterelementtesting.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
its electric. its reeeally old (25 yr) and needs to be replaced but i just dont have the money for that right now so im just trying to get it up and going for another month or so. i was planning on emptying it out i was just confused why it only started smelling when it started cooling off and not right away when it was still hot. thanks for the link on how to check the element

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.