DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When it rains I go to the hot water heater and I can hear water dripping inside the vent pipe. However, there is no water on the top of the hot water heater. See picture below. Where is the rain water likely entering the vent?

·
Registered
1,331 Posts
If there is no water on top of the tank water it could be dripping right down the flue inside the tank and hitting the top of the burner at the bottom of the tank. That seems unlikely, though. Leaking water would be more likely to run down the side of the flue duct. Does the sound seem to be coming from the bottom of the tank, or somewhere overhead?

In your photo, leaks at D, E and F would be external to the flue duct.

Have you been into the attic to ensure that the water that you hear dripping isn’t external to the duct, dripping on something inside the attic?

Chris

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been in the attic and can't see any water damage on the plywood.

It sounds like the water is dripping inside the flue duct (but I could be wrong).

It doesn't sound like its coming from the bottom of the tank, its somewhere overhead in the flue duct.

Ironically, it sounds like its dripping mid way in the flue duct.

If it was dripping into the water heater would the drips rust out the heater prematurely, or would the heat in that area naturally evaporate the water (even though the burner is not on all the time)?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might be correct. Rain water might be dripping on top of the vent outside and that's echoing down the vent.

However, if that was the case I think I would hear more drops during a hard rain storm.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
Do you hear it dripping only when the hot water heater is heating? That can be pretty normal. Especially when the humidity is up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You asked, do you hear rain water dripping only when the hot water heater is heating?

The only time I hear rain water dripping in the water heater flue is when its raining outside.

It just sounds like there is rain water dripping inside the flue. I can hear it dripping every 3 seconds.

What amuses me is how loud the drips are. Maybe the drips are falling from a high level?

·
Registered
8,741 Posts
How hot do these things get? Is there a sponge-like material that can be placed on top to basically damp the sound from any raindrops falling, to confirm that it's just raindrops on the cap?

Perhaps you can use a hose to simulate rain?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts