DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
"You can do anything"-Mom
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever the shower is running and something as little as the kitchen faucet is turned on the shower water goes instantly cold. Any thoughts on why this might happen?

·
Registered
37,460 Posts
New house to you?
What size are the main runs?
Single or double handle faucet?
About how old is it.

·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
New house to you?
What size are the main runs?
Single or double handle faucet?
About how old is it.
New house to me yes. Built 1961
If I had to guess Id say 1.5" is the main line coming in to the house. All other pipes look the same size. I can measure later today.
Single handle faucet in the shower.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
The preasure balancing cartridge in the shower is faulty---change the shower cartridge--

Let us know the brand and we'll walk you through it---If the house is new---call the builder---simple,quick fix usually---

·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The preasure balancing cartridge in the shower is faulty---change the shower cartridge--

Let us know the brand and we'll walk you through it---If the house is new---call the builder---simple,quick fix usually---
sorry it took so long to get some of this information back to you guys. here is a picture of the unit I took this morning. I'm still not quite sure which brand it is. also what would I do to make this bad dripping stop

Attachments

·
Special User
917 Posts
And my house main is 3/4" copper pipe. It is immediately sized down to 1/2" throughout the rest of the house.
That small piping may be a contributor, but I agree with oh'mike, a new pressure balance cartridge is in order.

That looks like it might be a Moentrol, but I will let someone with more experience confirm or deny.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Turn off the water at the main---

Remove the handle---and the big cover plate---you will see a horseshoe shaped clip that is in
front of the valve body--lift that out---attach a Moen cartridge puller to the stem--

-turn the handle on the puller----cartridge should pull right out---(sometimes you will need to crank the handle back and slip an open crescent wrench under the puller,as a spacer to complete the pull)

Roll up some sand paper and lightly sand the inside of the valve body---rinse out the grit--

Lubricate your new cartridge and install---replace clip---put cover and handle back on---

·
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Turn off the water at the main---

Remove the handle---and the big cover plate---you will see a horseshoe shaped clip that is in
front of the valve body--lift that out---attach a Moen cartridge puller to the stem--

-turn the handle on the puller----cartridge should pull right out---(sometimes you will need to crank the handle back and slip an open crescent wrench under the puller,as a spacer to complete the pull)

Roll up some sand paper and lightly sand the inside of the valve body---rinse out the grit--

Lubricate your new cartridge and install---replace clip---put cover and handle back on---
Right on! Thanks a bunch. Ill let you know how it goes. Can I get this catridge at big box?

·
Special User
917 Posts
Yes they should, but if it's not too much trouble to leave your water turned off for a while, I'd pull the old cartridge to take to the store with you. Just to make sure you get the right replacement part.

If you're lucky, the old cartridge will come out without using a puller. I was not lucky on mine, so rather than buy a puller tool, I just called a plumber.

·
Retired Moderator
25,770 Posts
Yep---and the puller---free from Moen if you don't mind waiting for the mail-----Buy the real one--there are aftermarket cartridges available---I never used one,seems like a poor choice---

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.