DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
beardog6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am building a leantoo 12x20 for horses, I want to use 4x4's for posts, it will be 12' in front and 8' in rear, will use 2x6 rafters with osb and shingles, will use hangers on the top ban of 2x8's, If I go 4 foot on center with the posts, and 4' in ground with corners cemented, will 4x4's be ok, side walls will be 2x4 and 2x6 purlins, sheeted with half inch plywood. The front will have an 8' opening, 8' high, I want to use 4x4's because of access and I can set them myself, any help or suggestions will be apperciated.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Since you are Wi, go to a Menard's or farm supply. Both would have plans, and listing of lumber. Depending on where you are in Wi, you do have to worry about snow load on the roof.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
We built a lot of those in Texas years ago. There they are called "loafing sheds".:)

We used round treated 6" posts with 2X6 rafters and 2X4 purlins. They were all covered with galvanized metal building siding (M-Panel) in texas. Any home center sells everything needed.:)

·
Super Moderator
14,478 Posts
You might want to cover the post or anything else the horses can chew because they will chew a 4X4 in half in no time. On the 1/2 inch plywood, they may be able to kick holes in plywood that thin and could cause harm to themselves. Just a thought.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You might want to cover the post or anything else the horses can chew because they will chew a 4X4 in half in no time. On the 1/2 inch plywood, they may be able to kick holes in plywood that thin and could cause harm to themselves. Just a thought.
This is very true. I'd use 2x lumber

·
beardog6
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Iplan on using 2" tongue and groove on the inside for kick boards, and neither horse is a chewer (cribber). My concern is if the 4x4's are strong enuf, I usally don't have much of a problem with snow build up and will be watching for that. Do you think I would need some sort of stiff backs, bracing, between poles?
Thanks for any help

1 - 7 of 7 Posts