DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, Im trying to hook up my furnace so the blower motor is constantly on, to circulate air, I jumpered R and G, but nothing happens, the door is closed, and the connections are good.

I even tried moving the thermostat wire (heat) over to G from W, and turning the thermostat up, and still nothing..

does anyone know why this might be?

the furnace is a Rheem Criterion.

·
Hvac Pro
23,327 Posts
Do you have 24 volts between R and C on the board with the door switch pressed in (use a piece of tape to hold it in or get a helper)? If not you may have blown a 24 volt fuse. Tiny pecker of a fuse, inline with one of the wires to the board in a red fuse holder on some of them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm getting 27 between them, with and without the button pressed.

But, there is nothing connected to my C on the board. its just a 2 wire, from the furnace, upto an old thermostat *no options for fan only* which is why I tried to just jumper between the R and G

·
Hvac Pro
23,327 Posts
That should work, sounds like the board (fan relay/non replaceable, on it) is bad. How old is the furnace? Lots of those have bakelite ventor fans with cracks in them (unsafe) which need replacing.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
not too sure how old the unit is, it has the LED's on the board, so I wouldn't think its TOO old.. if the power is on, and I jumper the R and G, I can hear what sounds like a relay clicking as soon as it makes connection.

You say the fan relay may be bad, but if I jumper R and W, the blower will turn on, as it would when I turn up thermostat. Would that be the same relay? or a different one?

·
Hvac Pro
23,327 Posts
Has a separate relay for the heating, cooling and inducer fan. Far fetched guess but is there a wire from the motor hooked to a cooling terminal on the board? Someone may have disconnected it. Try a different motor wire on the cool terminal. You may have a bad motor winding. Check for 120 volts from the cool motor terminal to ground.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well... that was the problem. haha, there was a winding hooked upto COOLING, HEATING, but none to the FAN, so I took out the cooling one, as I dont have AC, and placed it on the "FAN" terminal. and SHE WORKS! lol

thanks alot for your help. and hopefully us Winnipeger's get more of a summer than what we have had so far. lol

·
Hvac Pro
23,327 Posts
Ya. Damn mozquitoes are blooming now with all the rain and humidity. Tough Summer for A/C sales but I am doing okay overall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts