DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
1. You mounted the thermostat plate up side down.

2. Your old t-stat has atypical wiring for a unit with atypical controls. Going by letters could get you in deep trouble.

The way the unit it operates is most likely different from a basic 1 stage gas furnace/ac - the stat must be configured to energize the right terminals in each mode of operation.

For example most t-stats don't directly impact fan speed, yours does. In most setups G is the fan terminal - the fan speed selection is based on the mode of operation.

·
Registered
12,633 Posts
Best bet is to get the model number of the old stat and cross reference it. You won't find the right stat at a retail chain.

·
Super Moderator
39,426 Posts
Whoa, stop. Your old thermostat is a line voltage thermostat for fan coils. That new RTH221 is a low voltage/24 volt thermostat. Can't be used on your system.

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
Whoa, stop. Your old thermostat is a line voltage thermostat for fan coils. That new RTH221 is a low voltage/24 volt thermostat. Can't be used on your system.
I am beginning to wonder if people just rip the packaging open and toss everything. There is a reason why they come with the books. Before I even install any thermostat for someone that asks me to do it for them, I an sitting with the book and either a cup of coffee or a beer to familiarize myself with it.

It is neat that of course Honeywell does have a great way for people that want to change their thermostat, to be able to find a match. I am thinking that the OP was walking around the Big Box and grabbed the first one.

When I stopped by the local Electrical warehouse this past week to pick up a new disco for my outdoor A/C unit, because of course you cannot just buy the guts, you have to buy the whole box. They had a whole three shelves of nothing but Honeywell Thermostats.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
While we are on thermostats... I have two gas hot air furnaces un my home and two Honeywell 7 day programmable thermostats that were installed by a local, well known hvac firm. When first installed by the owner, both t stats worked fine. The owner died and the son took over the business. The spn worked with the dad for a few years. In any case, after coming over to fo a checkup and repair, when i put the fan on ON rather than AUTO the blower does not turn on. I hadn't moticed it until months later since I only use that feature in the summer and the repair was done in October. Can you tell me which wire goes to which terminal on the board? At the t stat end everything seems to be wired correctly. The furnace is a Ruud.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yuri to be clear the blower works as it should when in the AUTO position. However, when in the ON position it doesn't come on. Is that still the G wire?

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk

·
Hvac Pro
22,620 Posts
Yes. The Y wire turns on the AC and fan at the same time and the heat does the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts