DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Master General ReEngineer
10,200 Posts
No, a cleaner will not work at this stage, you will have to pull them. My first bike was a 1978 honda cb750. I still look at those bikes as new.
Ayuh,.... Mine was a '72....

Bought it Wrecked, 'n built is back up as a Cafe,...

Lowered front-end, dual disc's,...

I'm guessin' the Op's carbs need Rebuildin'...

·
flipping slumlord
5,116 Posts

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Try just taking the bowls off and take out the pilot jets and clean them. They have a tiny hole that is easily plugged by dried up gas. Usually best to take the carbs off, makes it easier to get the bowls off and clean up inside. Bowls will usually have some dried up gunk in them. Pilot jets normally come out with a small straight tipped screwdriver. You can unplug them with a couple of fine strands of copper wire. By fine, I mean fine. Take a piece of speaker wire and strip the insulation off so you have about 3" of bare stranded wire. Take two strands out of the bunch and twist them together. Once you get the pilot jets out, slowly twist the wire back and forth as you gently push it through the hole in the pilot jet. You can spray some carb cleaner through the hole once you break through with the wire. Not very difficult to do with the carbs off. Just take your time.
Mike Hawkins:)

·
Registered
654 Posts
Any motorcycle shop should so it. You may not want to pay the price to get them cleaned up though. Could exceed the value of that old of a bike pretty quick
Motorcycle shops are pretty damned busy year round; most of them can't be bothered to take an old bike at almost any cost for anything but an oil change or tire change or something. When I've had old bikes I've had them turn me away pretty reliably (which just made me learn to do more stuff myself, so it worked out). Sometimes in the winter you'll get lucky because they're not as busy but I wouldn't hold my breath.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.