DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My roof has kind of an odd shape, and theres one corner where the rain drips off unimpeded and digs a hole into the ground. So I had the idea that I would get some cement, and make basically a big cement block with an angled top. I'd bury it in the ground so it was right at surface level (the ground and the block would be sloped down away from the house). And any rain water or melted snow dripped off this house would land on the cement, and splash away down the hill.
It's a very poor spot for a gutter, which is why theres nothing there now.

Making this block should be pretty easy. Just make a wooden box, then put an angled piece of wood across the bottom, and presto, I'll have an upside down block.

But I need to know what the best kind of cement will be for this. And, since it is going to get pelted by drips so much, should I put some kind of coating on it so the drips won't slowly disintegrate the cement.

An even better plan than all this, would be for me to get a chunk of granite that is just the right shape and size, and bury that instead. But I don't see that happening, and bags of cement are cheap enough so thats probably how I'll go.

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,767 Posts
Ayuh,.... Go to a box store, 'n grab a 2x2' concrete paver, 'n put it where ya want it,....

Put the pitch, under it, insteada puttin' an angle on top of yer poured rock,...

Plain ole sackrete will last a long long time, poured 2, 3" thick,....

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,767 Posts
Ayuh,... Buy one of These, instead of casting your own,....

You don't need a beveled pitch on top of what ya put there, just adjust the dirt under it to pitch it away from the house,...

If you insist on casting your own, don't worry about coating it, it'll last for decades as it is,....

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah ok. Yeah I wanted to cast my own because I figured if I gave it a flat bottom, angled top, it would stay exactly where I put it. The one you suggested, I feel like over time it would work it's way down the hill. So if I do cast my own, what is the best kind of cement to use? There's so many different kinds at Home Depot/Lowes.

·
Registered
6,729 Posts
stop trying to reinvent the wheel - it'll probably turn out oval anyways,,, just do as bondo suggests - you'll be done faster + spend less $,,, if you need to get more creative, buy a splash block

1 - 6 of 6 Posts