DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in an outdoor camera system, no monthly fees, night vision, able to store info for review and / or get it onto my laptop.

- I am not tech savvy, have been reading about these systems for 2 days, and have to keep looking up the acronyms.
- I do not own a cell phone, so need to be able to access from my laptop
- I do not have an Alexa or a Siri

- I don't think I need instant notification that motion is detected, I'll just look, review and save anything I need then delete the rest. Or at least, that is how I 'think' I will do this.

- I'm not able to climb ladders so anything that needs me to climb up and get an SD card is out of consideration.

Probably need 8 or 9 cameras in total. Depends on width of view; there's probably an acronym for that.

Need to be able to see and identify a person, would love to be able to id a car, license plate a bonus, about 10 to 15 yards away.

I see some that talk about being able to zoom in, does it do that automatically on the motion source or do I have to physically do that - not something I will do. Because I don't plan to be available when it senses motion and starts recording.

Still trying to sort out what I need, what I don't need. And still trying to sort out those darn acronyms.

A link to a good article for me to read and learn earns you bonus points! LOL

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I lost the edit button.

Need 5 or maybe 6 cameras. Not 8 or 9. one each side and 2 in front would be fine, but 6 seems to be the standard.

I like the idea of solar, and wirefree, not sure how to get the ethernet wiring done. Do electricians do that?

Seems my first step will have to be to upgrade my wifi router. Gosh I do hate dealing with technology, it makes my head spin.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I do not have any suggestions. But I might wait to upgrade your wifi router until you have made a firm decision on what security system to buy. Since you may find that the wireless signal is not strong enough without a mesh setup or repeater. Or maybe you chose a power-over-ethernet camera system. You may also want/need a NAS to store the video feed. So many things to consider.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I would personally use a POE (power over ethernet) system, which utilizes Cat5 or Cat5 (standard internet cables) to connect the cameras to the recorder. That way, you can have your individual runs from the attic to a location on the second floor, install a POE switch or NVR (network video recorder) then run one single cable to connect to your LAN (local area network, i.e. router).

Most, if not all surveillance systems now a days have a smartphone and desktop application so there should be no issue there. As for a product, we have used Digital Watchdog, which is a Korean company(if that matters to you), which has a simple user interface, and works well with remote viewing. The cameras as well are pretty well built, and I believe have a 5 year warranty.

As far as types of cameras, that will depend on how they are mounted and what you want to see. Usually you can get as way with a 2.8mm lens, which is a very wide angle, if you use a higher megapixel(resolution) camera around 4MP.

As for license plates, don't expect to see them unless you get a specific plate reading camera, which take time and patience to set up, and another person, and that would be solely dedicated to that function.

And your local security integration company can do the install, an electrician may or may not have the knowledge to install the system in a proper way.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Lots of ways to do this but I won't get into that because many I use are techy and require you to really dig in. But some of the off the shelf DVR systems might work for you. Regardless of how you set your system up one recommendation is that with cheap hard drives and storage do not just record on motion. Record all your cams 24/7 so you can go back and review the video if and when you have an issue. Motion detect is not 100% reliable and even when it works it often helps to see what happens before and after.

·
Registered
16,798 Posts
I've been very happy with Samsung surveillance cameras. I have the generation before these. https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&biw=1366&bih=591&tbm=shop&ei=iUxrX56AAYP2tAWO87fACw&q=Samsung+video+surveillance+cameras+10+cameras&oq=Samsung+video+surveillance+cameras+10+cameras&gs_lcp=Cgtwcm9kdWN0cy1jYxADOgQIABAYOgYIABAeEBhQ4L0BWOmDAmCPigJoAHAAeACAAfgCiAGAFJIBBzAuNi40LjKYAQCgAQGqAQ9wcm9kdWN0cy1jYy13aXrAAQE&sclient=products-cc&ved=0ahUKEwje6NaEsP_rAhUDO60KHY75DbgQ4dUDCAs&uact=5#spd=15760948467793696399_0

I had someone else put them up, but, I was able to do all the setup. I just use a cheap TV as a monitor. I don't do WiFi because it can be hacked. I just plug it into the TV. What I really like is that it saves footage a long time. Years, even. I don't have motion-activated because it turns on with an animal walking by, or the wind in the tree.

The only things that have broken are the electrical lines and that was after much time and abuse. The kit comes with many lines.

A friend can put them up or a video installer. There are some of the latter that will really try to rip you off, so be cautious. Both the friend - retired State Trooper, and the video guy put them up facing doors and windows.

Here you can't surveil someone's back yard, so check the laws. I didn't do audio, which is an option. It would have nice to have at times, but, there are also laws against recording private conversations.

Even if the cameras aren't on, you will see some people avert their heads when they pass. :smile:

·
Challenge Everything!
385 Posts
I installed a few of these here from GW Security:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKJ5AQS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Very well made, 4K resolution, I own this Setup myself. I have 9 Cams around my House. You can access them from around the World, using a Laptop or Phone.
The Tech-support (real people) are stellar.
Not the cheapest, but well worth it. I installed a big System in Los Angeles (32 Cams) and one in San Diego, about 12 Cams.
Several Residential Systems, between 4-10 Cams.
No problems at all. Don't buy them from Amazon, I usually call their Sales Guys and get them direct at a discount, because I don't use their cables.

·
Challenge Everything!
385 Posts
BTW, they also sell Licenseplate Cameras, maybe worth looking at them too. I only installed one of them, very expensive but they do work.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts