DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A simple Pulled Pork Recipe I have been making for years......

Put one boneless pork shoulder into a slow cooker,
As an alternative you could also use two boneless pork tenderloins,

Mix the following in a mixing bowl.....

1 Cup Ketchup
1/2 Cup BBQ sauce of you choice
1/2 Cup brown sugar
1/8 Cup Red Wine Vinegar
1/8 Cup Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tablespoons Soy Sauce
3 Tablespoons Mustard
1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Garlic Salt

Stir ingredients together in mixing bowl, once combined pour over pork in the slow cooker,

Cook on low for 8-10 hours,

After 8-10 hours pull apart with fork to mix with sauce and serve....I eat mine on a bun, or sometimes over noodles or rice.....YUM YUM!!!

ENJOY!!!

·
Registered
846 Posts
Nice, I have been also doing similar for years.
Although I use the oven, set at 225 deg, takes about 16 ish hours to get the center of the meat to 195 to 205deg.
A higher oven temp will get you there sooner, up to 350deg for the oven.
I have also found a pork butt with the bone IN cooks faster, and the fat around the bone is NOT removed, of course.
I place the butt with the fat side up.
After it comes out of the oven it needs to rest for an hr. after using a turkey baster to remove all the liquid fat in the bottom of the pan.

As I use the pulled pork for more than just BBQ type meals, I only season it with salt, pepper, and cayenne.
Think egg foo yung
Sauerkraut, pork and apples.
etc

I cook a bunch during the winter overnight, and place in zip loc bags 1lb each, and freeze, warmed up even after 2 yrs tastes like you made it yesterday.

Warning, do NOT use the pork butts with the netting, you will never get the netting off without ripping off a lot of meat with it.

Now you just need a good BBQ sauce (y)

·
Registered
846 Posts
BBQ sauce is personalized, none are wrong, it's what you like that counts.

I buy bottled and mutate it...

18 oz Bottle of G Hughes Sugar free Hickory BBQ sauce.
ADD...
3/4 oz Figaro hickory liquid smoke
1 TBS Bourbon I use Evan Williams.
1 -1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar (gives it the "Tang") adjust for taste
1/8 teaspoon cayenne

Combine all in larger bottle (or remove some from the bottle to make room.
Shake very well and wait a day for flavors to combine.

You are all sworn to secrecy :cool:

·
Usually Confused
8,576 Posts
I tried it once in the slow cooker and found the end result wasn't worth it; a lot of shrinkage. Maybe I used the wrong cut. I guess I'm spoiled - a former colleague makes amazing pulled pork; done for hours over wood.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I tried it once in the slow cooker and found the end result wasn't worth it; a lot of shrinkage. Maybe I used the wrong cut. I guess I'm spoiled - a former colleague makes amazing pulled pork; done for hours over wood.
An 8lb pork butt with bone will yeild 4lbs of pulled pork, give or take a few oz either way.
Once you get over 9 lbs precooked the amount of usable meat ratio goes down, so I try to keep the pork butt under 9 lbs.

At aprox $1.94 per lb the true cost of usable meat is about $4 a lb cooked.

·
Retired Moderator
14,662 Posts
2 days ago I smoked a huge Boston Butt, I put it on the smoker at 12 noon and pulled it off the smoker at a little after 5am. It hit 183 degrees IT and would not break over for anything. Usually when I take a butt off the smoker, I will double wrap it with aluminum foil, wrap in clean towels and place in a small cooler for at least and hour.

You can leave one in a cooler like this for 4 + hours and it will still be so hot you can't handle it. It sure makes the meat tender and so easy to pull. I shoot for 190-200 internal temps of the meat. The good part is there will be a lot of liquid in the bottom of the aluminum foil, after pulling the pork, pour that liquid back over the pulled pork, it is some kinda good like that.

·
Registered
846 Posts
2 days ago I smoked a huge Boston Butt, I put it on the smoker at 12 noon and pulled it off the smoker at a little after 5am. It hit 183 degrees IT and would not break over for anything. Usually when I take a butt off the smoker, I will double wrap it with aluminum foil, wrap in clean towels and place in a small cooler for at least and hour.

You can leave one in a cooler like this for 4 + hours and it will still be so hot you can't handle it. It sure makes the meat tender and so easy to pull. I shoot for 190-200 internal temps of the meat. The good part is there will be a lot of liquid in the bottom of the aluminum foil, after pulling the pork, pour that liquid back over the pulled pork, it is some kinda good like that.
I did just that with an offset smoker the first time with lumpwood.
Came out like a picture, absolutely perfect, and yes they seem to hit a plateau temp wise in the smoker for some reason.
Unfortunately, that was before I understood just how looong it was going to take, I was up till 3:30am in the dark with foxes howling at me.
I could not believe the sound that comes out of a fox, scared the livin begeasus out of me.
Sounded like Smigel in Lord of the Rings, but really loud.

I got lazy and do them in the oven now, but I DO miss the bark on the outside, you don't get that in an oven.

I am doing an 8 pounder this Fri night. :p

·
Retired Moderator
14,662 Posts
I insulated my smoker and put it in the garage with a pipe directing the smoke outside, I can smoke rain or shine and no wind blowing on the smoker. I have three more large butts in the freezer, each weighs about 10 or12 or so pounds each. I use to put the meat on late at night and take it off the next day. My smoker is so touchy to get the smoker temps set right, I am afraid to try that now.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
The last 3 or 4 chunks of pork, BB or Picnic cut makes no difference, I did in the oven at 200* for 6 to 8 hours. I did them this way because I intended to can them after mixing in a BBQ sauce. I wasn't too concerned about doneness but needed them done enough to pull. During the canning process the heat and time (241* @ 10 psi for 90 min at pressure) is enough to cook them further.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I cook butt end with bone in crockpot. Everyone likes pulled pork. I copy Sonnys and put coleslaw on my bun. We have great BBQ places here so I buy their sauce.
Are you talking about the original Sonny's BBQ? The chain? Its good and it was great back in the day. I also copied their sauce as it was my favorite.
I insulated my smoker and put it in the garage with a pipe directing the smoke outside, I can smoke rain or shine and no wind blowing on the smoker. I have three more large butts in the freezer, each weighs about 10 or12 or so pounds each. I use to put the meat on late at night and take it off the next day. My smoker is so touchy to get the smoker temps set right, I am afraid to try that now.
Be careful Jim. Just because it vents to the outside, you could very well be accumulating deadly gases inside.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Are you talking about the original Sonny's BBQ? The chain? Its good and it was great back in the day. I also copied their sauce as it was my favorite.

Be careful Jim. Just because it vents to the outside, you could very well be accumulating deadly gases inside.
Yes, Sonnys BBQ. There’s not much here but we do have Sonnys and eat there frequently

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Yes, Sonnys BBQ. There’s not much here but we do have Sonnys and eat there frequently
Years ago, we had a Sonny's BBQ near our house. Davie Fl. We ate there many many times. We loved it. But today they have changed the menu. Whats up with three different kinds of ribs? I liked the original ribs where you only had one choice. Back then they had no pulled pork. It was sliced pork and it was great. The pork plate was one of my favorites. The 1/4 chicken was/is really good. Nice crispy skin! And they had the best and biggest salad bar known to man. Unusual for a BBQ joint.
I once ordered a full rack of ribs dinner for takeout. When I got home the sides were missing. So I called as I could not go back that evening. They took my name and told me I could get a complete full rack dinner anytime I wanted. No charge.
The restaurant burned down 2 days later!

I make a copy of their sauce. Its as close as you can get. In fact it tastes just like it. If you want the ingredient list just ask me.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Just set up my 8 pounder for tonight's cooking, btw if you want to sleep at night DO NOT garlic it before cooking it WILL stink out the house and you won't sleep.
Ask me how I know.

·
Registered
6,480 Posts
Years ago, we had a Sonny's BBQ near our house. Davie Fl. We ate there many many times. We loved it. But today they have changed the menu. Whats up with three different kinds of ribs? I liked the original ribs where you only had one choice. Back then they had no pulled pork. It was sliced pork and it was great. The pork plate was one of my favorites. The 1/4 chicken was/is really good. Nice crispy skin! And they had the best and biggest salad bar known to man. Unusual for a BBQ joint.
I once ordered a full rack of ribs dinner for takeout. When I got home the sides were missing. So I called as I could not go back that evening. They took my name and told me I could get a complete full rack dinner anytime I wanted. No charge.
The restaurant burned down 2 days later!

I make a copy of their sauce. Its as close as you can get. In fact it tastes just like it. If you want the ingredient list just ask me.
Sure! Thanks and I’d be glad to have your ingredients. Daughter always orders Sonny's pulled chicken. Our place used to have a great salad bar before Covid. Did you ever eat pulled pork on garlic toast? Really good but too much for me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts