DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know about tennis balls, etc.
Am thinking about a dual ceiling mounted laser.
Any better suggestions?

My concern is more side to side parking to ensure that the cars avoid the walls and allow maximum distance between them for opening the doors.

·
Usually Confused
9,143 Posts
We have Daytime Running Lights up here and the missus was a little challenged to do what you indicate so her doors wouldn't mash the garbage cans, etc. on the driver's side. I taped an X target on the wall that lined up with a noticeable spot of the headlight beam. It would work the same if you have the 'auto' setting on the headlights.

·
Registered
7,821 Posts
So it’s more about side to side distance then depth into the garage?
Park where you want, then mark the floor. Then paint lines on the floor to follow in like a parking spot. Permanent and no electric/batteries/tech stuff to worry about.

·
Registered
3,209 Posts
So it’s more about side to side distance then depth into the garage?
Park where you want, then mark the floor. Then paint lines on the floor to follow in like a parking spot. Permanent and no electric/batteries/tech stuff to worry about.
That may be helpful but it's hard to get to the parking space lines perfectly without opening the door to check where you are. There needs to be a more direct indicating system to do what the OP wants to do.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts
Please tell me more. We have a side to side garage problem. Front to back isn't a problem being that's been solved with my shop made wood ramps.

Well in my case it is a wife who fails to straighten the wheels before she pulls in. If true for you then it is easier to learn to live with it than without it.

As for me I get the passenger mirror the exact eyeball distance off the door opening and pull straight in. I park on the right side.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,988 Posts
If you read the reviews on those lasers they seem hit and miss for $30 and don't seem to last long. Some flash, don't stay on long enough, don't trip on, don't adjust, lots of inconsistencies to weed through. If you try one report back here on your experience.

I stick with the string on a ball (a whiffle practice golf ball) pinpointed right at the rearview mirror mounting plate to give us the left-to-right spot as well as the front-to-back.

·
Hammered Thumb
3,988 Posts
What about mounting a laser pen on the cars dash
An alignment spot on the garage door or on the wall after the door is open.
You missed your "Shark Tank" opportunity. Someone beat you to it.

Bonus when driving maybe you can point it onto the phones of people texting while driving, or "zap" any squirrels or deer that crosses in front of you.

·
Registered
740 Posts
I have a space where I park my truck and the fence is not parallel to the garage. I painted a stripe the correct distance from the wall of the garage and that is my reference point in terms of being parallel to the wall and in terms of distance to the wall so that I can open the driver size door of the truck. This would work inside a garage as well. Not any different than the lines painted on the pavement in parking lots.

·
Registered
13,700 Posts
I have a space where I park my truck and the fence is not parallel to the garage. I painted a stripe the correct distance from the wall of the garage and that is my reference point in terms of being parallel to the wall and in terms of distance to the wall so that I can open the driver size door of the truck. This would work inside a garage as well. Not any different than the lines painted on the pavement in parking lots.
I had hope for your reply until I read the " Not any different than the lines painted on the pavement in parking lots "sentence. In my 2016 Tundra the only way I can center between 2 lines in a parking lot is to back in using the camera.

How did I discover that? The Silver Bullet gets washed free for life and the sales kid that usually takes it for a wash dead centers it between lines in the lot when returning. Hey Ryan, howd ya do that? That's how Ryan does it, but I can't back into our garage.:surprise:

·
Naildriver
16,960 Posts
I like the double tennis ball theory. But nothing beats a good old curb installed in the floor to stop the car where it should stop.

When we had the garage under our bedroom (who thinks of these things) wife would park her Saturn there at night. Well when she started it in the morning, the first thing she did was pull the steering wheel to the left. I bought right hand heated remote control Saturn mirrors two at a time :eek: I explained, it went in straight, it will come out straight.

·
Registered
13,700 Posts
I like the double tennis ball theory. But nothing beats a good old curb installed in the floor to stop the car where it should stop
When we had the garage under our bedroom (who thinks of these things) wife would park her Saturn there at night. Well when she started it in the morning, the first thing she did was pull the steering wheel to the left. I bought right hand heated remote control Saturn mirrors two at a time :eek: I explained, it went in straight, it will come out straight.
That surprises me your wife and mine attended the same driving school.:biggrin2:

Long before Backup cameras, when backing from the garage, she looks out the 2 side windows rather than the rear view mirror or side mirrors. It finally caught up with her when our son had parked his pick-up truck in an unusual location. The corner of a 3/4 ton rear bumper puts one hellofah dent in the trunk lid right where the trunk key lock is located. Try explaining that to the insurance agent without causing him to fall outta his chair without him LHAO.

Anyway, in our cramped somewhat cluttered garage, I found a way to prevent the side mirror hitting me in the side of the gut. Just crank the wheel to the right the last foot of entering. Now this wife is a smart girl and she isn't blond, but I may as well go back the car out for her because this parking arrangement is very confusing to her, but I keep her anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts
If side clearance is the issue, just hang the tennis ball to the side of the car. If the ball hits the car, you've parked too close to the side. If there's too much clearance to the ball, you're too far away.
This is pretty good. Just set up the tennis ball to touch your driver side mirror, rather than some random spot in the middle of your windshield.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.