DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I have been thinking of extending our home. we have a Rambler home with vaulted celings, and we're thinking of extending on the back side of the house from one side to the other anywhere from 7- 12 feet more, this would extend our kitchen and master bedroom, and would also add one more room to our house. however on the back of our house we have 2 window wells and this extension would cover those two window wells up. I know that we will have to have a means of egress for our basement living room. down stairs where these two windows are there is also one more window that is on the side of the house in this same family room. Has any one had any experience with this, or know of anything that would restrict us from doing this home extension?

·
Registered
37,339 Posts
Need to be talking to a local GC about all this.
There going to be able to be on site and see what your talking about, know local codes, soil conditions ect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that is the plan, to remove the back wall of the house (after the extension has been built. just wondering if anyone has any EXPERIENCE with this other than the cookie cutter answer that i need to talk to an engineer or building department about this. That's an obvious step in my process, but obviously i'm not to that step yet, i'm just batting around ideas with some fellow DIY-ers and trying to see if any one else has experience with this..

·
Registered
103 Posts
If you have sufficient space on your lot I would investigate a different solution. What you are proposing isn't cost effective nor is attempting to remove the old exterior wall after.

·
Residential Designer
1,486 Posts
As long as you provide a means of egress for the basement I don't see anything else in your description that would not allow you to do the addition.

Andy.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Yes that is the plan, to remove the back wall of the house (after the extension has been built. just wondering if anyone has any EXPERIENCE with this other than the cookie cutter answer that i need to talk to an engineer or building department about this. That's an obvious step in my process, but obviously i'm not to that step yet, i'm just batting around ideas with some fellow DIY-ers and trying to see if any one else has experience with this..
You were given the cookie cutter response because when it comes to EGRESS the only person who can make that determination is your local inspector. UNLESS someone else who lives in the same area, did the exact same addition in the last week AND had the exact same layout in their basement... AND that person was on here... Now what do you think the chances of that are?

If you don't want help then don't ask, you should be appreciative to those who answered your question otherwise next time you ask they won't bother responding.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts