DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I've recently purchased the: Sense Home Energy Monitor". The device works with one main panel fed from 1 meter. It can work with multiple panels as long as the other panels are subs of the main panel.

Well, my home has multiple panels and I assumed that I had 1 main panel and 1 sub panel. Turns out that the 2 panels are parallel, probably due to the size of our house and or because we have a 15kW standby generator; I just don't know. I'm trying to avoid purchasing a second Sense Home Energy Monitor unit to sense the other panel.

The questions;
Can someone tell me why my home is wired this way?

Can it be re-wired in a way that all my panels are subs of the main so I can use my new Home energy monitor to read my main fed from the utility Co?

Thank you, John

Some photos;
How the sense device installs

All panels

Panels with the covers off

Our single meter outside directly behind the panels

·
Banned
3,456 Posts
You probably have a 320-400 amp service. It's wired as 2 separate 200 amp panels. It's wired that way because it's efficient and does the job while complying with code.200 amp wire is a lot easier to procure and work with than 400 amp, as well 2 200 amp panels are common and cheaper than a 400 amp panel and then a 200 amp sub. Your entire service and distribution panels would have to be rebuilt in order to accomplish what you want. Cheaper to get another Sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sparky, this would be the only reason the panels would be installed like this. Our home is over 5000 sq ft. Is it common for homes this size to have panels in parallel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bondo, there must be a time limit on editing threads. I can't fix broken photo links. I'd have to contact my Utility to access the incoming phases. Instead, i'll purchase a second sensing unit.

·
Registered
5,468 Posts
You can get in an electrician,
And move the energy sensor up stream.
To a point in the system that feeds both panels.
There must be one, somewhere.
:glasses:

·
Ever Learning
184 Posts
You can get in an electrician,
And move the energy sensor up stream.
To a point in the system that feeds both panels.
There must be one, somewhere.
:glasses:
I, too, Googled the install manual. It's designed to get power from a double breaker, the sending unit sits inside the panel, with an antenna outside the panel connected via a knockout. It then clamps around the two hots feeding the panel. It'd be cheaper to get a second unit than do this sort of custom install.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts