DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our lawn has many holes in it, which I am assuming are various animal tunnels. I've attached some photos of a few examples. What is the best way for me to fill these in? They are a hazard and could cause someone to sprain an ankle.

Someone told me I should fill them halfway with gravel and then fill the rest with soil. They said that the gravel will discourage the animals from digging the same holes again.

Thoughts?

Attachments

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
To me, judging by the oak leaves and acorns, I would say squirrels, chipmunks, etc. They love them. Set up some traps and get rid of them.

If you fill the holes they will just dig new ones. They love to dig and make nests.

Hope you get it figure out and eliminate the culprit inj12

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I can't imagine how I would get rid of all the many chipmunks and squirrels. Maybe there is a way to repel them?

·
Usually Confused
6,864 Posts
Either trap them all or learn to live with them. Not all may be currently active but, if they are and you fill them, they will simply dig a few inches over. Gravel won't stop them unless you shove several inches down there. They'll just push it aside, usually ending up on the lawn.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Get some blue Dow board. Break it in pieces and stuff the hole full. Pour in some gas and the Dow board will melt making homemade napalm. Cover the hole for a few minutes. Light it up and wait for your wife to come out to see why the house shook from the explosion. Sometimes flames shoot out of the other end of the tunnel. If there are critters in the hole, they will be barbecued.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Inj12.......Did you try the Dow board/napalm or...........? I have been battling gopher(s) for two weeks with pellets. No results.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I did the Dow Board thing on a woodchuck hole. I let it sit covered for a few minutes and then lit it. About 30 feet away a flame shot 10 feet out of the ground and the ground shook. No more woodchuck. If only I could figure out how to split an atom...

·
Registered
205 Posts
I had a family of 6 squirrels in my shop. This trap caught and killed them all in a week's time. Put the trap in place where you know they'll encounter it (but where it won't get 'stolen, if in a public part of your yard) for a week without setting it and without bait. For the last two days, bait it but don't set it. Then, set and bait the trap. Squirrels will get caught in it even if they've seen others caught. It works. It's humane because it kills them right away. Out of 6, I only had one get caught but not killed.

·
Premium Member
2,067 Posts
Looks like the holes made by chipmunks around here.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Thanks for your reply. I can't imagine how I would get rid of all the many chipmunks and squirrels. Maybe there is a way to repel them?
Where are you located? Just in general, city/county/state or province.

Some rodents are tougher to deal with than others, and where you are might help ID them, and help get rid of them.

·
Registered
12,087 Posts
Get some blue Dow board. Break it in pieces and stuff the hole full. Pour in some gas and the Dow board will melt making homemade napalm. Cover the hole for a few minutes. Light it up and wait for your wife to come out to see why the house shook from the explosion. Sometimes flames shoot out of the other end of the tunnel. If there are critters in the hole, they will be barbecued.
I did the Dow Board thing on a woodchuck hole. I let it sit covered for a few minutes and then lit it. About 30 feet away a flame shot 10 feet out of the ground and the ground shook. No more woodchuck. If only I could figure out how to split an atom...
That sounds like seriously sadistic fun! For someone, maybe even me muah ha ha ha. (Or lawyers, too.)

Be careful!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts