DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why would someone put a hole behind a microwave.

Hi, just replaced an over the range microwave and there was a hole in the wall behind it where a rear vent might have gone. Oddly, there is no way to vent outside from this wall and there is no vent. Before you get excited, because I did for a second... the fan was not blowing air in the hole... (not a fun prospect at all.) It was factory set to blow inside. The wiring was plugged in the cabinet above it. So Why have a hole in the wall? I am patching it up as I type... Just because I don't want a hole there... Other than the possibility of direct wiring, why would someone put a hole about 3.5" by 6.5" behind the microwave at the top, near where it could vent out?

Is there some kind of cooling benefit.

Bonus question: Old MW put in when condo was built 15 years ago. It was 1800W. The new one is 1000W and bigger. Do you think it will cook as fast?
:biggrin2::biggrin2::biggrin2:

·
retired framer
44,266 Posts
Maybe they had to fish the wire in for the outlet in the cupboard and as the MW hid it, no one cared.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
The guy that installed the microwave had some kind of plan for venting it. But after he made the hole, concluded that plan was not going to work out, and moved on to plan B --- set fan to "recirculate".

Possibly he was planning on going up through the chase between the studs - that's how mine is vented. But I am pretty sure in that situation its supposed to be vented through metal duct, not just the studs and drywall.

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,
I patched the hole (holes) The new holes and wall plate are quite different. The outermost holes were very close to the original ones. So close in fact, that it was difficult to hit the same stud on one side with out hitting the old hole. Got er done though.:biggrin2:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts