DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a hole that has eroded away just by the drain. I have heard that steel epoxy painted with porcelain paint could do the trick. Is that something considered legitimate in order to make code in California? The alternative seems to be to rip out the sink, get another sink, redo the plumbing, and redo the tilework after it is installed. For the sake of someone just buying a house, I'd rather spend $10 than $500 right off the bat.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In MHO I think you have it backwards. If you just bought this house then I would do what it takes to do it the right way. This house is your investment, and should be treated as such.

Level 2 Water distribution/Sewer Collection Operator

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly, I don't want to necessarily cut corners until my home is covered in duct-tape. My issue is staving off up-front costs. If, for instance, I had just purchased a home, I would not have a fortune to throw around in order to deal with a ton of up-front costs that could be put off for a few months.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
How big a hole? Picture available? I doubt anything you use will last; perhaps JB Weld (I've never used it but people swear it works).

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't have a picture on hand, it's smaller than a dime and it's right by the drain. I have heard of patch jobs with JB weld/porcelain paint can hold up for a while. My concern is if someone saw it, they wouldn't say it's against code.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
What code? If it is your house, do what you want with it. Didn't you just buy it?
If you are selling, who is going to buy a house with a hole or patch in the kitchen sink?

·
Registered
584 Posts
How big a hole? Picture available? I doubt anything you use will last; perhaps JB Weld (I've never used it but people swear it works).
try JB Weld it is the best to try. Let set over nite. A new stainless sink is around $150 doubble bowel. Not to bad a price . You should be able to put it in. A perment fix

·
Long-Time DIYer
1,460 Posts
I would try JB Weld as suggested to fill that big of a hole, and I also would finish the inside of a white procelain sink off with some white Appliance Touch-Up. It comes in little bottles with a cap brush similar to nail polish (available at most appliance dealers).
You dry the spot with a hair dryer on high, sand any rust off, brush on the Touch-Up, clean up the edges with a Q-tip dipped in acetone (nail polish remover), and let it dry overnight. It drys hard as a rock like appliance enamel, but it can shrink a bit, so you might have to apply it twice for a smoother finish.
I've been using it for years on dents, dings and small holes and cracks on my washer and dryer enamel, fiberglas shower/tub units, sinks, etc.
Good Luck!
Mike

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Is the sink leaking?

I don't know of any state (not even California) that would call chipped porcelain a code violation.

You are selling aren't you? And you want to mask the imperfection right?:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I am actually buying the home with a 203k loan. I honestly don't know how how they scrutinize the work. Here's how the loan works:
You buy a house for X amount, but you get the loan for X+Y. Y is the amount necessary to get the house up to FHA standards. At the Close of escrow, I will get 33% of Y. I will then have to utilize a general contracted to complete the work. They have to clearly document what they do and submit the work order to the lender. The lender pays out the last 66% of Y.

I am unsure if they send someone to check the work after it is completed. I'm not interested in defrauding the lender, but I'm unsure what they would consider a legitimate repair
Applied JB weld to hole in sink
Applied porcelain paint to repaired area

Oh and the sink is not leaking. There is no damage on the bottom of the sink.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
Sounds good! At worst, you might have to shell out some $s for a new sink; look at it as an early investment with a long-term benefit.
My guess is they won't notice especially if it doesn't leak.
Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts