DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone could point me to a video or site for how to hold the house up while building a 90'' x 48" opening for new window.(exterior wall) Ive found plenty on the building of it, but how do you hold up the house while the work is completed? :huh:

·
Registered
11,194 Posts
Generally you build a temporary stud wall in from the exterior wall to temporarily carry the load. This wall would have the ceiling joists resting on it.
You would really need to understand the house's structure before you under took the project.
Post pictures of the wall inside and out and the ceiling joists above.
Ron

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Do the joists run perpindicular or parallel to the opening?
I built support inside while putting beams in to support a 12'+ opening between the kitchen & new sunroom

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the joists run perpindicular

I checked and the the joists run perpendicular to the exterior wall, both the second floor and roof. 2x6's and 17 on center. Thanks

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Then you build a support wall inside to support the ceiling/floor studs

How you build this depends upon if you need to install the window from the inside, or the outside.
If installing from the outside just build a stud wall along the length where the opening will be on the inside

If you are installing the window from the inside - sliding it out thru the opening & then securing in place. Then you need to make sure you have a big enough opening in the suport wall to pass the window(s) thru. This would mean building a support wall inside with a header to allow the window to pass thru

Is this a single window, bay window, or multiple windows that can be installed one by one?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
large headers

I cant put in pics..Not that clever:huh:. I also forgot that we are adding two windows, one on each wall 36" out from the corner in the living room. The ceilings(second floor) are 2x5 1/2 and 16 on center. The the roof rafters are the same. Very old house,The originals owners started building on the house in the fifties and as they could afford it they built up. The windows are mulled together, a 50 inch fixed picture window mulled to two double hung 20"ers on both sides. they are new construction windows. I really want to thank you all again.:yes:

·
liscenced electrician
1,013 Posts
If its 2 story you may have problems but on a single story the siding and sub siding provide enough rigidity. Temp wall is still god measure but don't think the house is just gonna crumble

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
If its 2 story you may have problems but on a single story the siding and sub siding provide enough rigidity. Temp wall is still god measure but don't think the house is just gonna crumble
Without knowing the load on a wall you can't possibly make such a statement, No-one in their right mind would leave a wall & roof unsupported while installing a large window. A single 2x4 top plate is not made to hold up a roof. And an older house may have other issues that have weakened the structure

1 - 9 of 9 Posts