DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the HVAC guys ran this ugly duct from the basement through the dining room, through a 2nd floor bedroom, into the attic. Apparently they couldn't snake through a closet.

This is my sisters house, and shes asked me for a solution to make this less ugly. I'm an electrician, not a carpenter, so I figured I'd post here and get soe suggestions from you folks.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-- Joe

Attachments

·
Registered
37,180 Posts

·
Master General ReEngineer
9,775 Posts
Ayuh,.... I agree with Joe,....

Simple answer is to strap it off, 'n drywall it,...

I Love the idea of bookshelfs from that outlet to the corner Much Better though,.....

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
I agree, take out the current book shelves and incorporate it on a built in.
I picture a tall narrow unit with doors up both sides with shelves between.
The doors on the side with the ductwork would be there to cover the ductwork. The matching doors on the other side would be for storage.

The space between the two tall narrow units could be open shelves or a china cabinet or display cabinet. or cabinets below with a countertop and shelves above. Really whatever is desired.

We would love to see pics of whatever is done.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
For anybody else facing something like this, it may be possible to use wider and flatter duct. There may be some give and take but it is 3 dimension volume of air, not length and width of the duct.

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started framing it in as suggested. Just looks dumb. Doesn't help that the duct isn't centered in the room, so I'm trying to make it visually appealing.

They should have done two systems. Since the duct goes into the attic, and then feeds the 2nd floor via ceiling vents, they should have just put a second unit in the attic.

-- Joe

·
Registered
13,595 Posts
Started framing it in as suggested. Just looks dumb. Doesn't help that the duct isn't centered in the room, so I'm trying to make it visually appealing.

They should have done two systems. Since the duct goes into the attic, and then feeds the 2nd floor via ceiling vents, they should have just put a second unit in the attic.

-- Joe
Rather than attempting to correct this screw up, you may as well take the step backward and do the second unit attic install now because we read frequently a large percent of basement to third floor installs fail miserably both in hot and cold seasons.

·
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rather than attempting to correct this screw up, you may as well take the step backward and do the second unit attic install now because we read frequently a large percent of basement to third floor installs fail miserably both in hot and cold seasons.
I think that is her long term plan. Covering it is a temporary solution so she can secure financing to finish remodeling the house. She's doing a large addition, so the system will be extended to the new downstairs room, and probably an attic unit installed for the upstairs.

But for now she needs to survive an appraisal for a refinance.

-- Joe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts