DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to replace the backsplash in my kitchen. We have taken off the old backsplash so we have bare drywall. We had a designer in and she suggested that we move our electrical outlets under the 1.5" of the cabinet edge.
I need to know how people do this. If we just put a standard box, this is 2" without the plate, so the outlet would be visible.
I looked at plugmold and was so excited, but when I went to buy it the store talked me out of it and said that it would not meet code. Not sure why still.
I looked for surface mount plugs, narrow plugs, I have no idea on what I am looking for.
How do you hide an electrical outlet under a 1.5" edge.

Thanks in advance.
Just Me

·
Registered
48 Posts
I am trying to replace the backsplash in my kitchen. We have taken off the old backsplash so we have bare drywall. We had a designer in and she suggested that we move our electrical outlets under the 1.5" of the cabinet edge.
I need to know how people do this. If we just put a standard box, this is 2" without the plate, so the outlet would be visible.
I looked at plugmold and was so excited, but when I went to buy it the store talked me out of it and said that it would not meet code. Not sure why still.
I looked for surface mount plugs, narrow plugs, I have no idea on what I am looking for.
How do you hide an electrical outlet under a 1.5" edge.

Thanks in advance.
Just Me
If someone suggested to me how to do something I'd ask them how to do it.

If they can't answer you don't listen to them.

·
Master Electrician
4,649 Posts
You can install plugmold on the bottom of your wall cabinets if you feed it from a GFCI circuit breaker or from the load side of a GFCI receptacle.

·
Electrician
818 Posts
If someone suggested to me how to do something I'd ask them how to do it.

If they can't answer you don't listen to them.
No offense, but I find this to be a really bad attitude.

There are many times that something is brought to me from an engineer, architect, or designer that needs to be figured out and installed in a safe and code complaint way. That's part of my job, if I told them that I wouldn't listen to them unless they figured everything out for me, I'd probably have no work.

In the situation that the OP describes, the designer who is laying out the backsplash is not expected to know electrical code, or anything about electric at all.

Not everybody knows everything, working together to figure out the best way to get to the end goal goes a long way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts