DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello, an update to an older post of mine. please see drawing and let me know if this will work. My plan is to get rid of the junction box and go from the power source to an outlet to another outlet to the light source.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I don't intend to start a flamefest here. However, my issue with codes in general is that what is "right" depends on where you live and the vagaries of the inspector. I am an engineer, and two plus two always equals four no matter where I am. But with codes, it can equal four in one place and five in another. Or, it can equal four but the inspector will say in your case we're going to say it's five and pass the work.
Sounds like you haven't been an engineer on international products then.

·
Wire Chewer
3,599 Posts
Speaking of hidden junction boxes, I had a light in my basement go out the other day. A wire was loose. It was not hidden so I was able to fix it, but it just comes to show the importance of making them accessible.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello, I started working on re-configuring this junction box. The wire I was wasn't long enough. So I need to go back further into the bathroom where that wire starts and run a longer wire.

So I open up where the wire starts and its setup in a box where three wires converge. All Black are tided together, Neutral tide together. But there are two white wires tide together and one separate white wire.

Now a light fixture ties into this configuration. From the light, White goes to one white, and Black goes to the two White wires.. This confuses me.

1. Does it matter which white wire the light connects to?
2. Why doesn't it connect white to white,and black to black?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It sounds like you have are working on a box where a light is attached and controlled by a switch loop. Currently, one of the three black wires goes to a switch to control that light. The white wire in the same cable is used to return power to the light.

If I am correct, the light is wired wrong and the wiring doesn't conform with current code. It would be best to take a look at the switch to be sure.

The right way to do this is to identify which cable is used for the switch loop. It will be the one with the single white wire that is currently connected to the light. This white wire should be reidentified by marking the end of it with black marker, paint, or tape. (For more detail, see this recent post.) After turning off the power, connect the white wire from the switch loops to the two black wires that are not part of the switch loop. (These will be the feed and the cable you are replacing.) Connect all the remaining white wires, including the one from the light. Finally, connect the black wire from the switch loop to the black wire from the light.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hidden Junction Box #2.

Process of remodeling our bathroom, I took down the ceiling and we found another hidden junction box. One of the wires from the previous junction box, goes to this junction box.

Seriously, WTF!!! Who does this?

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
Now a light fixture ties into this configuration. From the light, White goes to one white, and Black goes to the two White wires.. This confuses me.
This sounds normal to me, however, someone did not mark the whites black with marker/paint/or tape as they should have been. THAT makes it very confusing....

DM

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
We just lost power.... AGAIN.... running off the damn generator again.... *sigh*
How many days will it be this time? 3? 5? It's anyone's guess....

DM

21 - 32 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.