DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I was taking down my paneling in my house and noticed there was a junction box hiding behind the panel. It's in the middle of the wall, and there are wires that go up and into the bathroom behind the wall. And then down to an outlet.

I don't know how to get rid of this so it is correctly done. There isn't enough wire to pull down so I can connect the top half to the outlet.

Is there any good ways to get rid of this? Or do I have to try and do a lot of re-wiring?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, that is what I thought. Just wanted to confirm. I think i'll have to take down the light fixture in the next room so I can add more wire.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its a bathroom and if I turn it around it would just be in the bathroom....Unless I turn it into an outlet for the bathroom...hmm thats a thought.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm no electrician, but the junction box goes down into an outlet, I don't see why the junction box can't be turned into one. How do i tell if its 20 amp?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Hello, an update to an older post of mine. please see drawing and let me know if this will work. My plan is to get rid of the junction box and go from the power source to an outlet to another outlet to the light source.

Thank you

Attachments

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hello, I started working on re-configuring this junction box. The wire I was wasn't long enough. So I need to go back further into the bathroom where that wire starts and run a longer wire.

So I open up where the wire starts and its setup in a box where three wires converge. All Black are tided together, Neutral tide together. But there are two white wires tide together and one separate white wire.

Now a light fixture ties into this configuration. From the light, White goes to one white, and Black goes to the two White wires.. This confuses me.

1. Does it matter which white wire the light connects to?
2. Why doesn't it connect white to white,and black to black?

thanks in advance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Hidden Junction Box #2.

Process of remodeling our bathroom, I took down the ceiling and we found another hidden junction box. One of the wires from the previous junction box, goes to this junction box.

Seriously, WTF!!! Who does this?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.