DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
What's on the other side of the wall? If it's a garage, closet, or other less conspicuous place, you could turn the box around and leave it exposed there. Or Tyco makes a splice kit that is approved for use without a junction box. They are pretty expensive (like $6 or $7 each).

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Can't turn it into a receptacle in the bathroom unless it only serves the bathroom and is 20 amp.
Technically correct. However, this is one case where I wouldn't care what the code says. Noncompliant doesn't necessarily mean unsafe. What's next? Tell the poor guy he needs to pull a permit?

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
What is important here is that people KNOW what the code allows and requires. The 'Technically correct' part is rather important. It is also important that, as a group, we APPRECIATE it when someone takes the time to remind us of the requirements of the NEC. Some of us like to do it right.

And, yes, since you brought it up, depending on his jurisdiction, the 'poor guy' may be required to pull a permit.
I don't intend to start a flamefest here. However, my issue with codes in general is that what is "right" depends on where you live and the vagaries of the inspector. I am an engineer, and two plus two always equals four no matter where I am. But with codes, it can equal four in one place and five in another. Or, it can equal four but the inspector will say in your case we're going to say it's five and pass the work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.