DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a cedar post and beam hip roof pavilion on my pool deck. We get some pretty good winds up here and I'd like to use some type of hurricane tie for strength. The problem is, I don't want to see them on the face of the cedar where they attach the rafter to the beam. The rafters and soffit area will all be enclosed with T&G boards.

Do them make hidden ties or should I use blocking on the top plate between the rafters?

Thanks,
Tom

Attachments

·
Big Dog
2,604 Posts
You could try a USP rafter tie like one of these. Spray paint it the color of the rafters (or as close as you can get) and use like colored screws to secure it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
those fastenmaster screws might just work. The underside of the double beam will have a decorative piece of cedar to cover the seam which would also cover these screws.

THanks,
Tom

·
Registered
531 Posts
Simpson is also making some black painted hardware that is intended to be seen. It's thicker gage and looks quite nice in a lot of applications.
Or you can invest some time and skill in making mortise and tenon joints or other joinery that won't need a bunch of exposed hardware.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts