DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a hi-pitch ringing tone that goes in and out behind my bedroom wall (almost like a vegas slot machine -- a fading ding ding ding).

Strange thing too is at that it will literally stop for 3-4 days and then come back on all night, going in an out - a fading ding ding ding.

While it was making the noise:

-- I shut off main electricty panel to house, still ringing
-- shut of main water and opened a faucet to drain thinking air, still ringing
-- turned on main sprinkler system, still ringing; as there is a drip system on opposite wall in flower planter outside and i do hear loud shut off valve noise behind wall when they switch to other water areas, I guess

Any other thoughts/suggestions?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked outside, nothing -- and it only come from behind that one wall. Just havinf troube determining if it is something electrical or plumbing. I shut off all electrical, so think it has to be plumbing -- water pressure, air, something??

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
Did you look for a cell phone lying in the grass outside?

·
Wire Chewer
3,593 Posts
Is there a plumbing vent that passes in that wall? A shot in the dark but maybe it's something to do with that somehow? Or maybe a sound in the sewer system that is resonating through that pipe?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
no cell phone, plus this has been going on for months, so anything battery operated would have discharged log ago

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i will ask plumber, i wish i could figure this out, now its silent again...very frustrating.

·
the Musigician
10,404 Posts
If you could record it next time you hear it, it might help us identify it.

DM

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i tried but it is too hi pitch, any another suggestions?
considering i shut off electric main switch, it must be plumbing yes?
would an old telephone line in house make this sound?, as i do not use -- i use cable phone instead.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
good one, but my wife hears it too, so not what you think. again, hi-pitch dinging sound that fades in and out. seems to occur mostly at night/early morning when in bed.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
good one, but my wife hears it too, so not what you think. again, hi-pitch dinging sound that fades in and out. seems to occur mostly at night/early morning when in bed.
I wasn't joking. Obviously since you are not the only one to hear it, it;s not an issue but there are plenty of medical problems that can cause a person to "hear" odd sounds.

anyway; is your house attached to any other buildings? What type of businesses are in the area? How close is the closest building to your home?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
i agree, definitley not a hearing issue.
i am in a all house residential area -- so no common walls. the bedroom wall where i hear the sound has the backyard behind. i can hear plubming valves tun on an off wehn sprinkler run, bit not the same sound as the hi pitch dinging.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
no wind chime. again, you can hear it coming from the wall when you listen closely when everythig is silent, and the other side of the wall is a large backyard. the only thing on the other side of wall is plastic drip water lines for plants, which only comes on in the morning -- timer controlled, which is in garage far away from bedroom.
I know, strange!

·
Experienced
30 Posts
How old is the house and have you had any remodeling done on that wall lately. I would hate to think something was left in the wall.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no remodeling where the sound is coming from. some plumbing work in the bathroom on the opposite side of the room only, but nothing where the sound is coming from.
wonder if old telephone wire in wall -- they draw electic seperately yes? but why does sound go away for days and then come back?
odd?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
believe too far away, accross the house above kitchen door. plus i killed power to house and still heard it.

·
Super Moderator
22,435 Posts
Any plumbing in the wall. Could it be water dripping in a drain from a leaking toilet or faucet? Water dripping in a downspout from the gutter?
Is it windy when the noise is present? Electric wires swaying and the noise is transmitted to the side of the house. Wind turbine in attic? Stove or bathroom exhaust fan being spun by wind?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts