DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just joined the forum.My name is Don ,I am a licensed carpenter and I live in Chatham ,Ontario,Canada,which is about 60 miles east of Detroit ,Michigan.I am married to a wonderful lady,but we have no children.I like to do woodworking ,mostly build furniture for our house and family.
Today I would like to seek the forums advice on the easiest way to mark and cut an opening for a window in a brick wall.I live in a raised ranch house so behind the brick is a framed wall.I have the window size marked on the drywall and I've checked for obstructions (wires ,pipes etc) Now I would like to transfer the size outside to remove the brick.What is the easiest method to do this?
Any advice would be appreciated
Thanks
Don

·
Retired Moderator
25,768 Posts
Welcome---Drill through a mortar line all the way into the house---that will give you a reference mark

As a carpenter--you will find it easier to shift your framing a bit in order to get the best placement for the brick cuts.

Start a thread on this---few people look in the 'introductions' section.----Mike----

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi

Hi Mike,
I had thought of that ,but I guess I forgot to mention my electrical panel is in the next room on the same wall,I think there are wires going to other areas of the house ran in that wall.Also being a bathroom ,I am not sure where there are pipes if any .That is why I would like to take the cautious approach and open the ,drywall from the inside to see what I am dealing with.Thanks for your feedback though .
I look forward to hearing from you again
Don

1 - 9 of 9 Posts