DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Live in Ontario (Canada), and in a newly built home (2018). I'm removing a regular 2 way light switch and installing a smart light switch instead (TP link HS200).

The first switch is in the dining room:
I have connected the new light switch neutral wire (white) to the already pigtailed white ones I saw in there, and black/live wires that were connected to the original switch, I pigtailed with the new light switch (photo 1). However the Green/ground wire of the Smart Switch - the instructions say to pigtail with the green wire in the box but I don't see one. Do I simply attach it to the back where the screw is (circled in red in photo 2). There's a wire already attached to that screw and I'm unsure if it is a ground wire, and if so, can I simply loosen the screw and connect both grounds to it then tighten it?

The second smart switch is to go into a different light gang. When I opened that one, there's again no green ground wire to pigtail to, but there are empty screws in the back (circled). Do I simply attach the smart switch ground to those? (see pic 3 & 4)

are all metal boxes grounded in new homes? The first box - I'm unsure if it is metal because it's covered in paint.

Thank you so much for your help!!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
Of three screws circled two of them are grounds.
The bottom picture, the bottom screw is the cable clamp. That can not be used for ground.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Joed. for the top picture, can more than 1 ground wire go under that screw? How come when I search online, some people say not to put two ground wires under the same screw? I don't understand the logic behind it if ground goes to earth.

·
Super Moderator
20,923 Posts
The proper ground screws have nub on either side of them. You are permitted to put a wire straight through on each side and tighten the screw. The nub keeps the wire from sliding out from under the screw.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I have no idea why they did that, I suspect when they were building it, they hadn't put the outlet covers yet and just got friendly fire from painting the walls.

·
Registered
924 Posts
If I am seeing this box correctly, this is a plastic box with a metal strip for grounding in it? I have never seen that in the USA (Texas). It looks like the last pic IS a metal box. I agree not to put more than 1 wire under a screw because, if 1 wire is larger than another, the larger wire will hold the screw off of the smaller wire and it could slip out from under the screw. You can pigtail from the screw and use a wire nuts to connect several wires together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts