DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New construction. Cement slab in floor heating. 4" thick, tubes are stapled to ridgid foam underneath.
The drain hole is 12" square framed out to access the main. Adjustable drain. Area for shower is 4x4, walls on 2 back sides. Pony wall separate it from basin.
The drain is centered in the middle. We need wheelchair access so planed something like a speed bump at entry point.
That's what I have to work with. I'd send a picture but just a 12" square hole in the floor right now. My thoughts were to buy a pan n use tile on the floor. Build the frame n bed it in. I haven't done this one before but know a little bit about construction. I like having the inspector that the contractors don't prefer because they think he's too fussy. But generally do all my own work. Hey we get along great. I'm over fanatical about my work n kinda drives some folks something. But eh I'm happy.
What say folks, thank you

· Naildriver
23,266 Posts
A normal shower pan won't give you a flush entrance point. I believe Kerdi makes one with a lower entrance point. @jeffnc can fill in better on that. I have done the speed bump in a couple of wheelchair accessible/transfer to seat applications, and it works fine. I modified the shower head to one of the side walls so the water would not tend to blow out the opening.

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A normal shower pan won't give you a flush entrance point. I believe Kerdi makes one with a lower entrance point. @jeffnc can fill in better on that. I have done the speed bump in a couple of wheelchair accessible/transfer to seat applications, and it works fine. I modified the shower head to one of the side walls so the water would not tend to blow out the opening.
Thanks man, really appreciate the feedback. That's what my buddy the plumber suggested. Yeah I realize that it will rise up a bit.
My thoughts were that the pan sits in a wood frame with bedding packed in the pan that the tile set in. I may find a pro but enjoy figuring stuff out myself. I've built the rest of the house. I've got more time than money.
Thanks folks appreciate your time

· Naildriver
23,266 Posts
IMO, if you modify the framing inside the shower to accept a normally lipped shower base, you will STILL have a drop off inside the shower, negating the roll in option. I believe the Kerdi base will help.

· Registered
2,512 Posts
Kerdi makes a ramp to put in front of their shower bases. It ramps up an inch and a half to match up with the base. If I remember right, it’s 16” on the length of the ramp. I did a roll in shower with one and it worked very well. We did add a rubber bulb type dam hat adheres to the tile to keep water from rolling out. The bulb is hollow and flattens when wheel chair wheels pass over it.
Mike Hawkins

· Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kerdi makes a ramp to put in front of their shower bases. It ramps up an inch and a half to match up with the base. If I remember right, it’s 16” on the length of the ramp. I did a roll in shower with one and it worked very well. We did add a rubber bulb type dam hat adheres to the tile to keep water from rolling out. The bulb is hollow and flattens when wheel chair wheels pass over it.
Mike Hawkins
Thanks Mike. This is what I had in mind I believe. And really helps me a lot. You n chandler are great men

1 - 8 of 8 Posts