DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,

We are replacing our rotting porch posts. We were trying to change to more of a square style seen here. Wrapping 4x4 with 1X PVC
Property Product Home House Building

Home Property House Porch Building

The old posts had a fascia board against that came down pretty far. I was gonna replace it to a shorter one to match the inside piece so we could put crown on top of the square posts. See top left of photo.

Stairs Handrail Porch Tree Siding

However the board over the garage is the same width as current fascia . If I change to a smaller one I think it might look odd. Square mock up on right, still some old posts on left. Any other options,opinions,thoughts?

Home Property House Building Real estate

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With taller fascia I cant do mouldings at top of post and the posts look a little to plain without it.

I dont know if anyone would even notice a smaller fascia from the street. But wanted to get some thoughts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went ahead and threw board up to see what it would look like. Most say they hardly notice difference.

I had originally planned on making square wrap with 1x6 and 1x4. However the posts are slightly bigger that 3.5 and when mocked up it looks like the joints wont close all the way. Is there a better option? Thought of ripping a 1x6 to 4" for the sides then this would give me a 1/4" of room around the post.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.