DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order some replacement windows. The walls are concrete block with drywall inside. What type of windows should I order? Should I buy vinyl windows without nailing fins (just square). These are the sizes I need.

Inside measurement: 36x36
Outside measurement: 37 1/2 x 38 1/2

Inside measurement: 18x37
Outside measurement: 19 1/2 x 38 1/2

Inside measurement: 72 1/2 x 37
Outside measurement: 75 1/2 x 38

Inside measurement: 36 x 36 3/4
Outside measurement: 37 x 38

Should I try to find windows without nailing strips and just fit them directly to the masonry walls? Or, should I add window bucks and buy windows with fins? An example of what type of window would be great.

· Registered
37,499 Posts
What's the big picture?
Any plans to go over that block with insulation and siding at some point for a whole lot better look?
Adding your location may help with your next question, what brand window is best.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Post up a picture of the inside. Normally you would order to your smallest measurement and trim them out, but I would need to see the interior in this case as well.

I'll have to get pictures of the inside. They normally just run the drywall to the window and don't have any casing It just has corner bead around the sides and top with drywall going towards the window. The bottom sill is wood. The drywall is why the measurements are smaller on the inside.

· Registered
37,499 Posts
I'd consider adding window bucks and ordering windows with the built in vinyl brick molding.
That way you could just caulk around the rough opening, set them in place. make sure there level and nail in place with galv. finish nails.
I predrill a pilot hole for the nails and tap them 1/2 way in so I'm not trying to hold the nail, window and hammer at the same time.
Happy with the plan looking sheet rock returns?
Adding wood jamb extensions, stool, apron and casing can really dress it up.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've read online to stay away from silverline. What are some good alternatives? I"m looking for a budget friendly window, since this is a rental property. The box stores sell Jeldwen and American Craftsmen. They have some aluminum Plygems as well. I'm not sure if those are new construction or replacement. I'd need to take a look at them. I can also go to other stores.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are going to be using the big box stores, stay with Simonton 6500 in vinyl.

ABC supply sells those in my area. Do you know of hand how much more percentage wise they are from builder grade windows? I don't want to spend too much, since this is just a rental. I talked to some supply houses and was told that IM windows is what most use in our area. What are your thoughts on them?

· Banned
30,077 Posts
They will hold up better long term and you won't have to replace them if and when you sell the home if you use a nicer unit.

Can't really figure a percentage as I don't know what pricing is in your area. If you said they are 25% more than a Simonton 5050, that would probably be a decent round number.

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They will hold up better long term and you won't have to replace them if and when you sell the home if you use a nicer unit.

Can't really figure a percentage as I don't know what pricing is in your area. If you said they are 25% more than a Simonton 5050, that would probably be a decent round number.

Is there a particular type of window I'm supposed to ask for? Do I purchase new construction or replacement vinyl in my case? Would it be easier to just get flush fit edges without nailing fins and just set them in and caulk them?

· Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
New construction if it is a new build.

Use a finned window and you can ask for a brickmold option if that is what the trim calls for.

I wonder if they install windows a little differently here in Florida. I notice that American Craftsman has a Florida Flange window. Some windows are also directly screwed to the masonry without bucks. I don't think I can add bucks and still go with standard size windows. I'll have to get the window specifics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.