DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to attempt to fix a leaking faucet on a bath fixture. I have attached two pictures. I will not be able to access the valve from underneath without removing a panel that is glued on to the tub so I want to avoid that option. This leaves me only working from the top. I have messed with a few of these over the years and sometimes I have had good luck, sometimes not. After working with plumbing for 50 years or so I know the risks of making something worse instead of letting it be but we are selling he house and I need to fix this or at least make an attempt. The water is leaking out from around the stem when you turn on the cold water. One question I have is whether you think I can remove that valve from the top without holding it from underneath? My guess is that in any event its going to be hard to turn. The water here is very hard and I'm sure that calcium deposits have had something to do with causing this to leak. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
I think i can see a faint outline of a hex nut that holds the complete cartridge in. Leaks around a stem often means a O ring needs replacing and lubed with plumber's grease. While it's out replace all O rings and grease everything well that rotates, slips, slides or looks as if it someday would like to.

EDIT: EDIT:

·
Registered
143 Posts
That is a Delta faucet. Turn off the water and unscrew the two hex nuts. Pay attention to the location of the raised part of the cartridge. You have to replace the rubber cups under the cartridges or it will continue to drip. Make sure the springs under the cups go in with the wider end down, then the rubber cups then the cartridges.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Those are the brass stem Delta RP25513 cartridges. If you put it back together with plastic stem cartridges (RP1740), it will work but the handles will turn a full half turn and hit the spout. To make them turn only a quarter turn, you have to reinstall the little plastic stops on top of the new cartridges before the nut. Draw a diagram of where the raised part of the cartridges are and what position the little stops are in and it should be as good as new. I usually disassemble the cartridges and grease the stem with silicone grease. Makes them turn smoothly for years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you for replying. I got lucky with this one. Yes, it is a Delta fixture and after I removed the stem, I replaced it with the stem of a Delta fixture that I had previously removed from a sink faucet. I took the best of the two, installed it, and no more leaks. So success. Can't say that all the time with a plumbing job! Again, thanks.

Larryn3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.