DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I recently moved into an apartment, and I wanted to install a ceiling light, but the wiring is a bit confusing. There are:

2 ground wires twisted together
1 red wire
2 black wires twisted together
2 white wires

It seems that they are grouped into two groups. (see the attached image)

The light I got has a white, a black, and a ground wire. Question is, how do I connect the black and the white wires?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Electrician
1,400 Posts
Was there a light on that box before, if so why not just hook it up like the last light was before or did you do what many DIY do and rip the light off without makeing a note on how it was wired before.

There are many options on how this light could be hooked up, the two wire could be a switch loop, the two wire could be the hot. The black in the 3 wire could be the hot and the red could be the return from the switch. You will have to test which wires has the hot on it and then we will be able to give you some more options.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
There appears to be only one way to wire this lamp. The white with the black tape on it is your switched hot coming from the light switch. The white is your neutral to the lamp fixture white. But if you would before you try this can you take a picture of the switch that controls this lamp and show what color wires are connected to it.

The only other question I have is the two blacks.. I'm assuming... had no other wires connected to them?? But I'm supicious because the wire nut has been removed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Darren:

No there wasn't a light on it before. I think none of the previous occupants installed a ceiling light since the renovation.

Stubble:
Here's a shot of the switch:

The black wire from the switch connects to several black wires, one of which runs to the corner of the switch box together with the red wire from the switch.

all the wires have a wire nut initially, I just removed them to see what's underneath. The two white wires were initially capped by the same wire nut.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
The 2 whites connect to the white on the light. The red (wirenut and tape) connects to black on the light. The bares all go together. Cap the two blacks like the red is. That tape looks like duct tape not marking tape. Looks like someone wired a ceiling fan without using a wall switch. Maybe remote or pull chain control. Thanks for picture of the switch. Made it so much easier.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Yep, that's why I wanted a picture of the switch to determine if that red was capped for a reason and if a white appeared on a switch terminal. . I'm glad it turned out that the red is the switched wire that is more conventional. I agree with JV on how it is connected now that we see the switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I tried the suggested wiring, but it doesn't wor. I think the light is defective (I tried using an ohmmeter with the bulbs in, but the measured resistance is infinite).

I'll exchange the lamp once I have the time, but your suggestion makes sense.
Thank you very much!

·
Registered
45 Posts
you used an ohm meter.... i think it's safe to assume you have a voltage meter.... use it..... flip the switch on check for power on all conductors ....flip the switch off check for power on all conductors

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Yeah, I bet that is what happened. I think JV meant to put the two blacks in one wire nut like the red....at least that is how I read it. Do that and it works IMO. Might have been better to say put the wirenut back on the blacks....:)

And I agree the blacks are the power connection to get power to the switch box.... good catch 220/221.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts