DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help finding the 3/4 hp furnace blower motor that will fit as an upgrade to the 1/2 hp motor model 0131F00022SP. I have upgraded my ac from a 3 ton to a 4 ton and am wanting to push more air. Any help would be great.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
Increasing the blower hp does not yield significantly higher speed, the motor is sized for the blower wheel and rpm is limited under 1200. Normal blower motors are rated at 1075 rpm and up-sizing may yield 1100 or so.

ecm motors are an exception.

Only a ecm motor retrofit can get your more air.

Testing needs to be done to see if your furnace is moving enough air for a 4 ton on your duct system. Full model number to get cfm charts and static pressure testing required.

1/2hp blower is usually used in a 4 ton drive furnace but not always.

There's another method but the tool is very expensive - a basic manometer and static pressure tips you can get under $100.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for that information. Could you formulate an opinion as to what the installing tech might have meant by "upgrading the fan in there furnace will give you more str flow"? If possible I am wanting to do it myself.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
what are the odds that was actually done?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Two different techs recommended upgrading the return. Was able to do that on the cheap myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Added 500 sq ft to the home. Only the return register was increased as was recommended. 24in sq duct was drawing from 12in register.

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
In order for the 3/4 HP motor(presuming its a direct drive motor) to move more air with the current blower wheel. It would need to spin faster. About 250 RPM faster.

What you need, is a new furnace with a 4 ton blower. And larger supply duct. Most duct systems are already under sized for the A/C size they have.

Might be able to order in a 4 ton blower that fits your furnace/air handler.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
What's the complete model number of your furnace?

There's a retrofit ecm that can be programmed to spin faster - mars azure.

When a small addition is done, but better to just use a mini-split.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
You already have a 4 ton drive - if you're not getting enough airflow your ducts are too small or there's a major restriction.

A static pressure test can be done to determine airflow and assess different parts of the duct system.

One common bottleneck - the standard 16x25x1" pleated filter - way too restrictive for 4 tons. What type of filter do you have?

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Is there a problem your trying to solve or did the installer just tell you that a bigger blower is needed?
Some things you’ve said about the installer are very concerning regarding the performance of the system.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He just said ge would recommend upgrading to a bigger blower and widening the return out to the 24in to match the ducting. I'm just trying to make sure I am getting the most out of the new ac.

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
Measure the size of your supply duct coming off the furnace plenum, and post it here.

·
Super Moderator
39,290 Posts
He just said ge would recommend upgrading to a bigger blower and widening the return out to the 24in to match the ducting. I'm just trying to make sure I am getting the most out of the new ac.

Your not, and won't.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Supply coming in bottom of furnace 24sq, going out after ac coil appears 15 sq. Hard to get a measurement on that one due to cabinet size.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
It is the 16x25x1 just using a washable one
Which type - electrostatic or the blue hogs hair style?

The former could be too restrictive - really 4 ton system should have a media filter if limited to 16x25.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts