DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a fully enclosed staircase going to the basement that I can tell at one time was covered with carpet.

We are finishing the basement, and due to time and money are using carpet tile downstairs.

I'm not sure what to do with the stairs because the space between the treads and wall varies between 1/2 to 1 1/2 inches on both sides. The stairs to the 2nd floor are the same way, but carpeted so you don't see it.

Should I just get some carpet remnant and do what they did on the other staircase? Ideas?

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
The purpose of the gap is to stuff the carpet ends. If you don’t want to carpet the stairs, you could use pieces of quarter round trim to cover the gaps. Might have to add a skirt board first to reduce the gap.

·
Registered
10,285 Posts
The gap seems pretty consistent—maybe the OP could just use a skirt in the gap, with a little caulk as necessary for any places where the gap exceeds the thickness of the skirt board.

·
retired framer
51,119 Posts
If you wanted to install hard wood, you cut the nose off, put a 12" wide trim on both sides and fit new risers and treads tight to the trim.

·
Banned
328 Posts
INSTALLING CARPET ON STEPS MAY BE ILLEGAL IN YOUR AREA. IT DEPENDS. CHECK YOUR MUNICIPAL CODE.

Your talking about whether to glue or nail trim to the wall after you carpet.

But if you install the carpet wrong, the carpet can slowly lift, causing a trip, and kill someone. Some areas allow only trained installers. You need the proper fasteners spaced BY CODE (if they are still allowed, and used with the proper carpet pile and backing). Or you need the nail strips properly installed by code. Neither of the above involve whether or not the carpet goes over the edge: it's not a factor your asking a mute question.

You use thin finishing nails, not too long, on molding into studs so it can be removed and re-installed without having to replace the molding, because molding is expensive wood and a preserved builder's resource.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts