DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello good community,

A few days ago I poured a rebar reinforced slab of concrete (500kg) as foundation for a pizza oven I want to build. The area is 140cmx160cm and the slab is around 12cm thick. It sits on 3 inches of gravel and is protected by plastic sheeting underneath. The slab itself should be more than enough to accommodate the oven, once I get it built.

But, since I did it all by myself and since I am a novice, I probably did somewhat of a hack job. The slab is curing now. But the issue is following:

It's not 100% level, but only ever so slightly so. The area it is sitting on is 5-6% sloping and I had to dig out to level before pouring (see image).

The area it sits on is very dense clay soil and further below the garden is prone to slight water retention, so I also installed a french drain from the lowest corner (front right) of the slab, to drain away excess water.

My first question: Next step for me is to mortar the walls for the oven stand out of cinderblocks. If the concrete foundation is just slightly out of level, can I adjust this with the amount of mortar between the cinderblocks, or is it better (even possible) to re-pour a thin (half inch or so) layer of concrete on top of the slab and attempt to bring it to 100% level first?

Second question shows to my inexperience with concrete. After pouring I covered the slab in plastic to slow evaporation and help curing the slab.

But I put the plastic on too soon, and now the surface of the slap shows plastic 'foot print', with small areas where the concrete is not 'closed'. Will this cause problems later on and is it something I need to fix, or is it not worth the effort since it's the foundation anyway?

For sure, I will be more careful and try to do a better job once I get to pouring the concrete top for the actual oven to sit on!

Thanks for indulging my beginner questions here.

Cheers,

Simon

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
It shouldn't be a problem making up the out of level in the joints of the CMU when you build the walls. That's a much better way than trying to add onto your slab. Also, a surface of the slab even though not perfect it certainly not something it will be a problem for what it's there for.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Msradell for the speedy and concise advice. I will leave it like this and use mortar to even out any non-level points when putting the brick stand.

And: I will get myself a real large trowel for next concrete job to get a better and more level finish next time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts