DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I'm trying to fix up a wall for my mother-in-law and I could use some advice on how to cut a hole in laminate floor. She wants to extend the wall that is there but about 12", I wouldn't think screwing the new 2X4 to the floor would be a good answer but maybe it is. I was thinking that I would have to remove some of the flooring where the 2x4 is going to be but not sure how to cut the flooring.

I was thinking a skill saw would do that job but I might not have the room to use one. Any ideas or suggestions would be great and thanks in advance for any the choose to help me with this.

PS. I have lost my mind, if you see it can you send it back; I miss it ;)

·
Registered
37,264 Posts
A picture of where this 2 X 4 has to go would be big help. Just cut the 2 X 4 and lay it right on the floor when you take the picture.

If your doing what I think your doing I'd lay the 2 X 4 on the floor, set a scrap piece of 1/2" thick baseboard along the side of it and mark it with a sharp pencil. Then just use an ossilating saw to make the cuts. It can plunge straight down, and make 90 deg. angles.
I use the 1/2 baseboard because most laminet floors call for 1/2 clearence to the bottom plates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yip that is the tool I need, don't know why I never thought of it. Now I hope I know somebody with one because I'm pretty sure I don't have one :(. Thanks for you time and help

Cheers!

Stephen

·
Registered
37,264 Posts
That's one tool well worth buying if you do not have one.
I own 3, two Rockwell Multi Crafters and one cheap Dremal brand which is just a toy and not worth buying, it's the one I lend out.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
I've got Harbor Freights best and it works very well.

·
Registered
37,264 Posts
Far less expencive to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts