DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi team, I am looking for some help in attaching my curtains to my window.

The issue that the setup is slightly particular. Please see attached a picture of what the window looks like. As you can see, the window goes right till the end of the wall so I can't really choose a typical wall mount.

In addition, I tried to drill a hole in the ceiling, thinking that a ceiling mount would do the trick but it is impossible - the ceiling is made of a very solid material that cannot be drilled into.

Any thoughts on how to fix this?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,967 Posts
Condo? Most likely plastered concrete ceilings. You will have to at least drill 2 holes for the center supports but I get ahead of you. What type of curtain do you want to do?

If pinch pleated on a traverse rod, the easier install, then it is quite easy. Wood, iron or any type of pole with rings would be a poor choice for that window.

You will need to buy, borrow or rent a hammer drill for the holes in the celing

·
Registered
575 Posts
Are you keeping the blinds? If so, is there room in front of them to mount brackets? If yes or if the blinds are going, do a search for "inside mount curtain rod brackets".
If you're keeping the blinds, I'd move them down a bit because the rod would be below the top of the blinds. Wouldn't look too nice.
If you're just wanting to replace the blinds, maybe just go with some shades (roller or romans) instead of curtains.

·
Registered
11,715 Posts
If you remove the blinds, does the opening for the window go all the way to the ceiling? The window looks to be recessed into the opening.

If you want a traditional curtain support, you could simply fasten a 1x4 or 1x6 (that could be painted white, or to match the wall color) flat on the wall to the left of the window, and perpendicularly to the wall on the right. Your curtain support could then be fastened to the board in the usual fashion.

(Alternately, the board could be mounted perpendicularly inside the window opening so that the face of the board is flush with the wall.)

Attachments

·
Registered
575 Posts
Honestly, I don't think curtains for this window is a good choice period. There's no wall space to stack them and so they'll either always cover part of the window or if you squish them to the sides too much, they'll look like skimpy threads hanging there.
I don't think there's any where to put the board if the blinds remain, since there's no room for attaching it, as far as I can tell. If the blind comes down, then there would probably be room to mount brackets on top of the window, but depending on the style and the heading of the curtains, the inside mount brackets work better on a boxed in window.

Without more pics or a better explanation of the walls and windows, it's just a guessing game anyway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts