DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I have only done a few minor electric jobs! Today my wife and I purchased a fan for our kitchen. It asked for a 60w candelabra bulb and we put an led bulb in. I removed the old light that was up there and there was one red and one black wire coming from the ceiling. I hooked the black to black and the white and blue to the red?? So I turn the breaker back on and there is nothing. No light, or fan. I walked up to the illuminated dimmer switch and noticed the light was not on (typically it is) I tried the light switch that was in the kitchen still no dice..... I can only assume that the reason it's not working is because of the dimmer switch? So me being the scholar I am I grabbed a switch from downstairs and started disconnecting the wires from the dimmer finding all I had was a single pole switch..... So now I have two red wires and one black wire and have no clue where they go!!!! I turned the breaker on and checked with my pen light and 1 red and 1 black lit up the pen.

So would the problem have been the dimmer? And which wire would go where? I attached a photo!!!!

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
While no-one has responded in over ten days, I note that you wrote
"I removed the old light that was up there and there was one red and one black wire coming from the ceiling.
I hooked the black to black and the white and blue to the red??
So I turn the breaker back on and there is nothing. No light, or fan. I walked up to the illuminated dimmer switch and noticed the light was not on (typically it is) I tried the light switch that was in the kitchen still no dice..... I can only assume that the reason it's not working is because of the dimmer switch? So me being the scholar I am I grabbed a switch from downstairs and started disconnecting the wires from the dimmer finding all I had was a single pole switch..... So now I have two red wires and one black wire and have no clue where they go!!!! I turned the breaker on and checked with my pen light and 1 red and 1 black lit up the pen.

So would the problem have been the dimmer? And which wire would go where?

(Several things in your description disturb me.
“there was one red and one black wire coming from the ceiling.”
Now, one of those wires SHOULD have been White [Neutral] – or, one should have had an indication, such as white tape, to indicate that it was a Neutral”.
Since there was a Red and a Black wire, was there not also a White wire - and a Ground wire.
[How old is the wiring in these premises?]

You mentioned connecting only two wires to the Light/Fan combination.
It is unusual that a Fan/Light combination does not have three connections [Fan, Light and Neutral], unless this unit is ALSO controlled by a hand-held “Remote Control Unit”.
Otherwise, both the Fan and the Light will come on together!
How else do you propose to operate the Fan and Light independently without a three wire connection to the Fan/Light unit.
[What is the Make and Model Number of this Fan/Light combination?])

From your words I interpret that -
There are two points from which the original "light" was operated.
At one of these points there was a "switch".
At the other point there was a combination "dimmer" and "switch.
The "dimmer switch" contains a "light", which previously glowed when the switched "light" was NOT switched "on".
After replacing the original light with a "Fan/Light" combination, which was fitted with a LED "Lamp", nothing "worked" and the lamp in the dimmer did not glow.

You then attempted to replace the “dimmer switch” but found that all you had was a “single pole” (actually Single Pole, Single Throw [SPST]) switch BUT there are two Reds and one Black to be connected.

I suggest that the problem may not be with the “dimmer switch” which you removed.

To backtrack, I suggest that you (temporarily) replace the original Light as it was and reconnect the Dimmer/Switch as it was and see if the original Light works with a known good incandescent lamp.
If it does NOT work, you may have a wiring and/or switch problem.
If it DOES work, check if the new LED light works with the Dimmer/Switch

It is likely that the LED will NOT work (satisfactorily) , in which case
you may need to purchase a dimmable LED which WILL work with THAT dimmer or
purchase a new dimmer and dimmable LED which will work together or
forget the idea of using a dimmer with a LED.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems like in ceiling box there were 3 wires. What was connected to the original light? My guess is the red and white wires. The black being constant power.

To test this put the original switches back in. Then with the ceiling box wires exposed test them using a multi meter. Between the white and either the red or black you should have constant power. The other wire will only have power when a switch is operated. You then need to put a marrette on the constant power wire it will be unused. The switched wire and neutral will connect to the fan. Wire both the black and blue to the switched wire and the white to the white.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.