DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished this sitting wall and pergola a couple of years ago but now we’ve decided we want to fill in the opening in the middle with a small water feature. The plan is to have a basin in the front with a finished height the same as the sitting part of the wall. The back of the new section will be pushed out about a foot behind the existing wall and built to a height of about 3’. The spillway will come out of the upper part of the back wall and fall into the basin.

My question is how to waterproof the basin. The basin will probably end up being something like 5’x1’. The structure will be concrete block. I’ve seen the pond liner stuff but I don’t want bunched up corners since the whole thing will be lit up. I want a decent looking finish inside the basin. I’ve googled a bit but am still not sure the best way to waterproof the basin.

Ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I finished this sitting wall and pergola a couple of years ago but now we’ve decided we want to fill in the opening in the middle with a small water feature. The plan is to have a basin in the front with a finished height the same as the sitting part of the wall. The back of the new section will be pushed out about a foot behind the existing wall and built to a height of about 3’. The spillway will come out of the upper part of the back wall and fall into the basin.

My question is how to waterproof the basin. The basin will probably end up being something like 5’x1’. The structure will be concrete block. I’ve seen the pond liner stuff but I don’t want bunched up corners since the whole thing will be lit up. I want a decent looking finish inside the basin. I’ve googled a bit but am still not sure the best way to waterproof the basin.

Ideas?

Look up STO Corp.
Check out this product Sto FLEXYL it is a water proofer used on Concrete & Masonry surfaces. I have used it on fountains as far back as 1990 & have not heard of any problems. You can call STO CORP. in Atlanta, GA. & ask.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Look up STO Corp.

Check out this product Sto FLEXYL it is a water proofer used on Concrete & Masonry surfaces. I have used it on fountains as far back as 1990 & have not heard of any problems. You can call STO CORP. in Atlanta, GA. & ask.

Thank you. I’ll check it out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thoroseal OR sto - both are good products

Thank you, I’ll check that one out too.

I probably should have just kept it all in one thread, but I’ll take any advice on the overall project too. The pic below is just a mock up of what I’m looking to do. The basin part will be just two blocks high. I’m going to frame up the remaining height of the back wall so I have room to put the pump. I’ll put an access panel on the back so I can get to everything.
I put rebar in the new footer I built for the back wall. Epoxied the rebar to the existing pad and put uprights too. I’m using bond beam block so I’ll run rebar horizontally also and epoxy it into the existing columns and tie all three walls together. The whole basin is only ~5 1/2’ W and 2’ front to back.
I wasn’t sure yet what to use for the walls and floor of the basin, or how thick. I was thinking king maybe cement-all? Maybe some chicken wire in it, or fiber?? Then one of the waterproof coatings mentioned above?

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, I’ll check that one out too.

I probably should have just kept it all in one thread, but I’ll take any advice on the overall project too. The pic below is just a mock up of what I’m looking to do. The basin part will be just two blocks high. I’m going to frame up the remaining height of the back wall so I have room to put the pump. I’ll put an access panel on the back so I can get to everything.
I put rebar in the new footer I built for the back wall. Epoxied the rebar to the existing pad and put uprights too. I’m using bond beam block so I’ll run rebar horizontally also and epoxy it into the existing columns and tie all three walls together. The whole basin is only ~5 1/2’ W and 2’ front to back.
I wasn’t sure yet what to use for the walls and floor of the basin, or how thick. I was thinking king maybe cement-all? Maybe some chicken wire in it, or fiber?? Then one of the waterproof coatings mentioned above?

Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
26 Posts
I don't have any experience with the concrete sealers mentioned above, but do know others have used them with success. That being said, it is possible to lay and fold an epdm liner without bunches - much like hospital corners on a bed, so that you'd just have a crease in each vertical angle, which you could also cover with some epdm seam tape. Alternatively, you can seam together epdm panels or if you go with a rectangular basin, just have a place like this do a custom flexible liner for your dimensions:
https://www.everything-ponds.com/rectangular-box-welded-pond-liner-flexible.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts