DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,799 Posts
Now seeing the inside would it be safe to install a 220 line for the dryer? Or am I risking too much?
From what I can see the 60 feeds the breaker and the 50 feeds the stove
Based on seeing how few 2 pole breakers you have I would guess your load is relatively low. I would say you would be fine adding a 2 pole 30 amp breaker in the upper section for a dryer.

Reactions: CodeMatters

·
Disrespectful to dirt
1,075 Posts
There's nothing inherently wrong with a split bus panel. However, it absolutely requires that you verify your electrical load is within the service capacity. You cannot guess, assume, believe, or hope that it isn't overloaded. Too many people have done so and been wrong, with disastrous consequences. That's why these panels are no longer allowed in new installations. You need to do a load calculation to know for sure. Ask here if you need help doing so.

·
Registered
390 Posts
There's nothing inherently wrong with a split bus panel. However, it absolutely requires that you verify your electrical load is within the service capacity. You cannot guess, assume, believe, or hope that it isn't overloaded. Too many people have done so and been wrong, with disastrous consequences. That's why these panels are no longer allowed in new installations. You need to do a load calculation to know for sure. Ask here if you need help doing so.
Split-bus panels are GROSSLY outdated and obsolete. In fact, I've never even seen one rated more than 100 amps total, with a 60-amp breaker for the lower bus (for general lighting and other 120V circuits). Anyone who has one in their home should NOT hesitate to have the service upgraded. Not just the panel replaced (because you would still be at only 100A), but have the service upgraded to at least 150 amps. Then you should be able to add almost any new load to it.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts