DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'll start with a bit of background on my project idea. What I am doing is building a "bed." My wife and I just purchased a new King sized bed with a metal frame. She said she wished we had a fourposter. I took it upon myself to build one. I'm still in the planning phase here though. Any way.... What I am wanting to do is, at the top of the bed are going to be curtain rods I want to make a "lamp" out of the ends of the rods. My idea is to wire six lamp sockets together and run them to switches on either side of the bed (so I can cut the lights on or she could from our own side of the bed) then to a standard wall outlet. I plan on using led bulbs for less wattage drain.
My questions I pose are....
What type/gage wire would work for this?
Could I run a two switch circuit off of a standard two or three prong outlet?

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
std lamp cord is fine for the sockets, but at some point you need to connect outlet gnd to rod(s) metal housing (bonding it to service gnd, etc). this is best way for safety.

thus, some sort of 16awg 2 conductor + gnd (3 wire) cable is what i would use from outlet to 1st light socket (then 18awg between light sockets). how do you plan to daisy chain the light sockets??

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is a very good question. Everything I have looked into is either for running a three way switch in a floor lamp an 5 bulbs total or a fan/ceiling light with two switch locations.
I was thinking just a series almost like old school Christmas lights. I am assuming there is a better way.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
There is a better way. Walk away from electrifying your bed.

As your post headline and in my opinion. Hairbrain.

Just make a bed.

·
Registered
724 Posts
There is a better way. Walk away from electrifying your bed.

As your post headline and in my opinion. Hairbrain.

Just make a bed.
Nah, just do it right if you're going to. Keep in mind, though, that sleep researchers strongly recommend keeping distracting electronics and the like away from your sleeping area, and keeping the sleeping area really only for sleeping. It tends to make you sleep better.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
you could also go 12V using automotive LED bulbs (that come in a zillion shape/sizes/brightness). you can also get a $5 12v remote controller from Ama zon which gives you full control to dim them.

the scary part about 120vac (15amp) on bed items is this, if for whatever reason the poles break (someone horsing around, etc etc) then you'll be entering a safety situation with 1500watts of power @120vac.

I was thinking just a series almost like old school Christmas lights. I am assuming there is a better way.
nope, you would not series them. you would daisy chain them in parallel.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
The low voltage suggestions are great. I have the most basic familiarity with normal/house wiring.
Would the 12 volt circuit still be powered by a standard 120v plug or a battery? I understand that the 120v would have to be lowered using a transformer or resistors. But a battery would be interesting, but would have to be changed? Correct me if I'm wrong.
a simple 12v-dc wall wart should suffice. not sure how many lumens of light you need, but if its just accent lighting then i suspect 12-24watt total of LED light would be good (thats 1-2amp for 12v wall wart, etc).

lets start with this Q, how many lumens do you need?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts