DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi,

Really looking for some help on wiring a DPST switch to replace one that has gone bad. I recently acquired an older (1985) Makita 2030N combo planer and jointer. Motor is good, I replaced the carbon brushes, cleaned the commutator, but I am trying to replace the original switch which doesn't work with a simple DPST paddle switch. It will run as I have it wired, but sparks a lot and trips the breaker. The DC motor is 13 amp, 2 hp, 115V but there are quite a few wires coming out of it that I'm not sure about. In the attached diagram there are two small black wires I've labeled black small, black/white small that I believe are field wires. I connected one of the small Black wires (labeled B/W small) with the neutral from the cable to the switch, because it was connected to the same terminal as the neutral from the cable on the original switch.

The motor has two speeds, but I don't see anything that looks like an AC-DC converter. I've attached a picture of the wiring to the original switch and my guess at wiring the new switch. The original switch wiring diagram is printed on the switch itself. Let me know if there's any way to make this work with the simple DPST switch I have or if I should look at another DPDT switch or add a converter of some type.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Pete

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Quick clarification, I'm sure its a universal motor but unclear whether it is DC or AC. I believe it's AC due to the AC symbol on the face plate.

Any ideas on wiring a new switch? Can I use a simple DPST?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I obtained a little more information. Attached a wiring diagram for the motor and the original switch. Can I use a DPST with the current motor? If so, how do I wire the field wires (2 black and 1 white)?

Alternatively, I could go with a DPDT, but need help on whether to include a relay and how to wire the switch.

Please help!

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts