DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Long story short, I ran 4 #6 THHN wires from my main panel to the sub. Black/red from a double pole 50 amp on main to the main lugs on the sub. Green/white between the neutrals and grounds (neutral NOT bonded on sub). Initially I was only getting one hot bus energized on sub and could not for the life of me figure it out. Finally I went to the main and used my voltage tester and saw one of the hot wires was not energized coming out of the double pole breaker. I'm still a little confused by that. The double pole breaker only fits in the panel a certain way (so that it straddles a plastic tab and contacts two metal fins on the hot bus), and with the whole main panel being energized, I would have thought it would make no difference where it was placed. But the original spot did not work, and when I moved the breaker two spaces down, it did work. Can anyone explain that to me? My panel is 40 years old, and I do have a breaker labeled "Main" about 1/3 down on the right side which does seem to de-energized the lower half of the panel when turned off, but it was on the whole time.
Sorry that didn't end up being short after all.
Thanks,
Josh

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,829 Posts
For starters you have a split buss panel. The upper slots are connected directly to the meter and should have space for 6 double pole breakers. One of the 2 poles in the upper section feeds the lower positions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts